2 litre water bladder?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveparry1 03 May 2019

Need a water bladder that I can fill easily from streams/ponds etc and attach to a Sawyer Squeeze filter. So I'd like something with a wide opening to fill from. Perhaps one with a sliding seal. Was going to buy a Platypus 2 litre as I like their pouches. But their bladder seemed to get poor reviews... Any recommendations?

Pkrynicki1984 04 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

Had my platypus for years and years , and the better half has a newer one , no complaints here! 

marsbar 04 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

I have various sizes of platypus and I've had no problems.  

I haven't tried the wide opening ones though. 

Post edited at 10:06
 Pedro50 04 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

Platypus for years with no problems. Bought an Inov8 wide opening one to fit my race vest and I don't like it, I seem to have to suck much harder which is hopeless when breathing hard. 

Graeme G 04 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

Can only add I have an old Camelbak with a small screw cap and a much newer Osprey with a large screw cap. Depending on the depth of water both are pretty useless to refill from streams. Max I can ever seem to get in is about 50%

nniff 04 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

platypus for years - was looking at it a few days ago wondering how much longer it can keep going - the end of 'reasonable life' was passed years ago but it seems much as it always has.

rj_townsend 04 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

I’ve given up getting pricey ones as they invariably end up leaking. I’ve a 3l Decathlon one with a top-opening and it’s lasted longer than any of my previous ones, and fills very easily. Good locking valve too.

Luke90 04 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

"Source" also make very good wide-opening bladders.

Billhook 04 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

Wow?  2 ltr.  I've never carried that much water on the hill ever.

Luke90 05 May 2019
In reply to Billhook:

Doesn't seem like a ridiculous amount to carry if there's some combination of:

• More than one day on the hill
  • Hot weather
  • A shortage of streams to refill from
OP steveparry1 05 May 2019
In reply to Luke90:

The idea is to be able to gravity feed dirty water through the Sawyer filter. And the difference between 2 and 3 litre bladders' weight when empty is negligible. So I'd probably go for a 3 litre if available. I see CNOC is available via a Swedish site but costs £30 inc postage. Might bite the bullet.

Post edited at 15:31
 Chmusar 05 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

why not try source widepac 2ltr used mine a lot easy to fill and clean and never leaked

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/source-widepac-hydration-system/?aid=09646bef3...

Removed User 06 May 2019
In reply to steveparry1:

Source Widepac - you can get either 2 or 3 litre version.

Post edited at 07:41
In reply to steveparry1:

I prefer water bladders with source type opening too. They are easy to fill 100%, they can be filled from a dripping source and when empty they roll up more tightly than the ones with that big clumsy screw cap opening. 

PPP 06 May 2019
In reply to Billhook:

> Wow?  2 ltr.  I've never carried that much water on the hill ever.

Apart from the fact that folk are doing different activities in various conditions and water consumption is very down to an individual, a larger bladder does not take much more space/weight compared to a hard bottle. E.g. Camelbak Crux 2L bladder weighs 210g and 3L one weighs 235g. 

It's nice to have some spare space for water when camping or bothying. Refilling 2 litres of water before I take boots off means I can cook dinner and have enough water for breakfast/coffee. Then I can refill as much as I need before I leave the site. 

I usually take 1 litre Nalgene bottle in winter and swap it to a 2 litre Source hydration bladder (with a wide opening) for warmer months. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...