Loading Notifications...

Wanted: MSR fuel bottles

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 mcawle (user since 09/Aug/16) 13 Oct 2020

Wanted - MSR fuel bottles to use with a Whisperlite stove, either 11oz (325ml) or 20oz (591ml) or potentially one of each. I'm in London.

In reply to mcawle:

i think i've got a couple.. i can check if you are still looking?

mcawle 22:59 Sat
In reply to kerry cooper:

Yes please!

In reply to mcawle:

FWIW you can get very decent imported copies with exactly the same thread from eBay for far less than the original MSR ones. 

mcawle 15:14 Sun
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Thanks - I can see orange ones there branded 'BRS' from about £9-£12 delivered, 530ml and larger. Is that what you're thinking of?

In reply to mcawle:

The one that came with the cheap multifuel stove I bought a few years ago was that same orange colour, so that looks like them.

Seems to be 530ml ones available from China for well under £6. 

As with anything like that, you take a bit of a risk but there is not too much to go wrong with one.

Post edited at 15:28

Well actually there is quite a lot that can go wrong. Do you know if the Chinese ones are of one piece construction with the threads machined into them or do they have an insert that can blow out if over pressurised ? Are they manufactured so that they are strong enough not to blow out at the base ? (as sigg bottles can do if over pressured ) for the sake of a few pounds it might be best to use the correct item when pressurising petrol or another flammable fuel. 

It's from an older post but probably still relevant especially when using cheap Chinese copies

REPLY TO : NWCG@nifc.go

SUBJECT : SAFETY WARNING : Failure of Sigg type bottles

Fuel bottles in the field were found to bulge and the crimp holding the threaded plug failed due to excessive pressure. During tests all of the four brands tested failed by splitting out the side of the bottle or at the crimp in two piece constructed bottles. Some bottles failed at relatively low pressures. Pressure is generated by filling the bottle completely to the top and exposing the bottles to temperatures in the 80's.

From the limited testing performed to this point, the following conclusions can be reached:

Emphasis should be placed on making sure that these fuel bottles are not filled beyond the manufacturer's recommended fill line. MSR prints a warning on each bottle specifically stating that overfilling may cause extreme pressures as the temperature rises.

Of the four brands tested,(MSR, Stansport, Primus and Optimus) only the MSR meets the requirements of GSA?s IPD for aluminum fuel bottles. The MSR fuel bottle is of one-piece construction and exceeds the 400 psia burst pressure requirement. The other three brands are of two-piece construction and do not meet the minimum burst pressure of 400 psia specified in the IPD.

Although further testing should be done, it appears that the cap seal design of the MSR bottle allows the o-ring seal to fail before the bottle bursts. This allows only a small amount of fuel leakage if the bottle is overpressurized instead of allowing the entire contents of the bottle to escape.

Although the SIGG fuel bottles were not tested in the report above, I found a number of reports of their failures, including, but not limited to:

mcawle 18:07 Sun

I didn't see the £6 ones, perhaps buried. Thanks for the tip.

L.A. - to your point, they do claim to be single piece construction, , etc., but of course who knows, and no info about material thickness, etc. They also don't specifically claim to fit MSR pump threads, although I'd say it's likely they do.

I have seen MSR ones new from about £14, and reputability is a purchasing factor for me, so I think I'll pay a bit more and go new if no one here has any to part with.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.