/ Wanted: Bear Canister

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
ND (user since 29/Apr/18)06 Aug 2019

Hello
Bit of a long shot but worth a a try....Anyone hiked in a US and come back with a bear canister now gathering dust?? (Ideally a BV500 as this seems to be the one most recommended/ used)
Because I don't need it from the start I will probably buy one out there. but just in case someone has something going cheap I thought I would enquire! Would be good also to see how it packs.
Thank you
Neil 

Ethan_Macfarlane 06 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

If you don't get one try r/Geartrade and r/Ulgeartrade 

Moondancer 06 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

Depending on where you are going this may be useful or not, but some of the national parks hire them out. Grand Teton for example lends them out for free.

ND 06 Aug 2019
In reply to Ethan_Macfarlane:

Thanks, I'll check those out

ND 06 Aug 2019
In reply to Moondancer:

Thanks for the tip  - I'm doing the Sierra section of the PCT so not sure I'll be able to hire for that but will have a look at that option.

Pedro50 06 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

Bearikade are the lightest by volume, insanely expensive to buy. However you can hire. They will post for collection. We used them on the JMT. recommended 

pancakeandchips 06 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

I bought one from Rei and returned it for a full refund when I was done with it. Don't judge me.

ablackett 07 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

I'm pretty sure they are illegal to have in this country so anyone bringing one back has screwed up at customs.

OwenM 07 Aug 2019
In reply to ablackett:

Why would they be illegal?

MB42 07 Aug 2019
In reply to ablackett:

Bear canister for packing food not bear spray. Whether bear spray is illegal here is probably moot since you shouldn't be travelling back to this country with it from North America as its banned to carry in hold luggage (or of course hand luggage) there

Post edited at 08:35
Rigid Raider 07 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

I don't know what a bear canister is but I'm guessing a pressurised aerosol can containing pepper or chilli extract? This would be illegal to carry in an aircraft under IATA rules as it's an irritant. 

richlan 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I don't think customs will have much a of a problem with an empty plastic container:

https://www.rei.com/product/768902/bearvault-bv500-food-container

OwenM 07 Aug 2019

I was assuming the OP was talking about a bear proof contain for putting food in overnight. Pepper spray would be naught.

Rigid Raider 07 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

My mistake. On the WCT we just hung our food in a tree!

ND 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

Thanks Pedro, will look them up!

ND 07 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

To clarify its for storing food not a spray!!  I did wonder why it might be contraband!

gimmer 07 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

Another vote for the Bearikade canisters, they are great.  As well as being the lightest, their shape makes them really easy to pack compared to a Garcia canister (Garcia are the ones that the National Parks service loan out btw).

If you hire one for a through hike, you get a generous discount on the hire price. Plus Bearikade will ship to "General Delivery" at a USPS Post Office too so you can pick it up anywhere you like in the US, and then just mail it back when you are done.

ND 07 Aug 2019
In reply to pancakeandchips:

You must have been very careful with it on trail for them to take it back!

ND 07 Aug 2019
In reply to gimmer:

Thanks gimmer - I've emailed them for a quote

pancakeandchips 07 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

They've got a no questions asked return policy within 1 year, doesn't matter what condition.

Eric9Points 07 Aug 2019

> I don't know what a bear canister is but I'm guessing a pressurised aerosol can containing pepper or chilli extract? This would be illegal to carry in an aircraft under IATA rules as it's an irritant. 

Yes. When we flew to Anuktuvuk pass in Alaska in a small aircraft the pilot made sure the bear spray was stowed in a cubby hole on the wing. He pointed out that if it went off inside the cabin it wouldn't have been very good.

I did actually bring it back to the UK, it was a while ago. I eventually gave it to a friend who's been burgled and had been left a bit shaken up by it.

No idea why you got 5 dislikes by the way.

Pedro50 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Eric9Points:

> No idea why you got 5 dislikes by the way.

Because he hijacked a thread about bear-proof food canisters with some nonsense about bear spray. HTH. 

Eric9Points 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

> Because he hijacked a thread about bear-proof food canisters with some nonsense about bear spray. HTH. 

Ewwwwww...toucheee.

Pedro50 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Eric9Points:

Sorry I've had wine.

ND 07 Aug 2019
In reply to pancakeandchips:

that's good to know...

ablackett 08 Aug 2019
In reply to OwenM:

> Why would they be illegal?

Sorry, I was talking about bear spray, not bear canister.

David Coley 08 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

Is it normal to carry a bear canister on this section of the PCT? 

ND 08 Aug 2019
In reply to David Coley:

> Is it normal to carry a bear canister on this section of the PCT? 

I believe its mandatory for the Sierra section

ND 09 Aug 2019
In reply to ND:

FranC, many thanks for your message.   Please check spam/ junk folders  if you have not had a message from me.
Regards Neil

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.