Loading Notifications...

FS: W. P. Haskett Smith Biography

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 mathorn (user since 26/Nov/07) UKH Supporter 11 Nov 2020

Price: £10

Co1in H 11 Nov 2020
In reply to mathorn:

I think we need a little more information.

Title, author, paperback or hardback, dust wrapper, postage.

Thanks

In reply to mathorn:

Hi Frank,

I would like to buy a copy of this - I'm intrigued to see all the research you have done, particularly how you came by the photo of WPHS on the Needle in 1890. If your Rusty Westmorland book is available in a print version I'd like to buy that too. I have it on Kindle but it's not the same.

Best regards,

Stephen

Pedro50 12 Nov 2020
In reply to mathorn:

So is this a newly published book of which you are the author?

Rob Parsons 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

> So is this a newly published book of which you are the author?

I'm curious myself. But presumably - see: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/w_p_haskett_smith_-_biography-644240

louiswain 12 Nov 2020
In reply to mathorn:

I've been looking forward to this since the 2016 thread. Can you tell me how I'd go about getting copies?

Pedro50 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

If true it does seem to be a rather understated marketing campaign to say the least. 

Rob Parsons 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

> If true it does seem to be a rather understated marketing campaign to say the least. 

Who cares about 'marketing campaigns'?The book might presumably be a labour of love.

In any event, if you are interested in it, the obvious thing to do is to directly email the OP via this site.

Rob Parsons 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

> Hi Frank,

> I would like to buy a copy of this ...

Stephen, since you seem to be in the know on this a bit, can you please post back with further details, if you get them?

Thanks.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

Frank Morgan-Grant has written a biography of WP Haskett Smith and also another of Rusty Westmorland, but has failed to find a publisher for either so is selling them on CDs which he will post  out  at £10 each or £18 for both. I have just started reading the first. First impressions are that, like all self-published works it would benefit from a bit of proof reading, but that he has done an amazing amount of research, unearthing for instance a photo of WPHS standing on the shoulder of Napes Needle in 1890, only 4 years after the first ascent, a photo of WPHS gazing up at the North Face of Pillar Rock in 1882 (!) and diaries belong to Edmund HS, Walter’s younger brother with whom he did much of his early climbing. If you are interested in the beginnings of our sport, it’s definitely worth a tenner in my view.  He also has large beautifully printed copies of the Needle photo for sale - contact him via UKC if you are interested. I should add that the first of the above finds was unearthed with a descendant of Rusty’s in NZ and the other two were in a trunk in an attic in Canada, so all three would have in all likelihood been lost to the climbing world were it not for Frank’s detective work.

Post edited at 19:52

Stephen

Do you have contact details or link to that I can use to get copies of these two books?

biggianthead 16 Nov 2020

Thanks Stephen. That's really helpful. I'll definitely be contacting Frank for both copies.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.