Zillertal Alps Or Similar Alpine Trekking Tour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thelostjockey 10 Nov 2019

Good morning UKC,

I wonder if anyone has done the Zillertal Alps trekking routes as outlined in the Cicerone book written by Allan Hartley. If so, I'd be very grateful to hear from you. I see in the book there is the Rucksack Route and the South Tyrol Tour. I am thinking of doing a tour like this in July or August with a friend. 

Or if anyone has some better recommendation, please get in touch. 

I did the Stubai Glacier Tour a couple of years ago and thought the Zillertal one looks very good. 

With thanks.

In reply to thelostjockey:

I did this some years back with my wife and then 9 year old son.  Its quite rough in parts with lots of boulders but stunning scenery with options for peaks. I posted some film up at youtube.com/watch?v=5VICs9ETJtU&.  Its a very nice route.

OP thelostjockey 10 Nov 2019

Thank you. Looks great. Was there any glacier work? I can see you are well-kitted up in some of the shots when you go to the peaks. What level of experience do you think you need? Although I have some experience of glaciers, my friend has less. 

Thanks for your time with this. 

Funnily enough, we've got an article on the Stubai Höhenweg coming out in a week or so. Looks great. Is that the same as the Stubai Glacier Tour? Guess you might fancy a change of scene...

Mouflon 11 Nov 2019

A group of us did both the Zillertal  in 2014 and Stubai 2011 treks from Allan's books.

We took ropes etc on the Stubai as we were doing mountains off-route but didn't need anything for the actual trek.

We did both late August/early September and hit more snow on the later stages of the Zillertal.

However both were excellent and we only needed normal gear and poles.

On balance, I slightly preferred the Stubai but very little between them.  

Mouflon 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

The two tours you mentioned are different. The Glacier Tour is more 'technical' whereas the other is a standard hut-to-hut trek.

gav 11 Nov 2019

Having done both, I'd say there are some tougher days (nothing too hard) on the Berliner trail (Rucksack route), but it's a better route than the Stubai. Both really good trips.

Post edited at 11:14

no need for climbing gear on the main trek - this was just for doing peaks.  From mempry you can do the olperer without crossing a glacier but I'd recommend a rope for this.  the schonbichler spitze is a simple scramble.  the ahornspitze doesn't need any gear although when I did it there was quite a bit of snow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...