Why I won't be buying BMC Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gooberman-hill 28 Nov 2021

I love the BMC, it does a great job, and I'd love to support them financially by buying BMC insurance - because I am sure they benefit financially from it.

The reason is simple. I have 2 daughters, keen climbers, mountaineers and skiers. They climb multipitch trad and sport, they have been up 4000m peaks in the Alps. They enjoy ski touring. Brilliant stuff, all covered by the BMC.

The problem is they also both love playing around in the snow park, on the jumps and rails. And that is specifically excluded from BMC insurance.

So, yet again, I have to take my annual family travel insurance to Snowcard rather than the BMC. A shame, as I'd love to help the BMC by buying insurance through them.

olddirtydoggy 28 Nov 2021
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Snowcard are a great company and used by a lot of us on here. This is a good outcome.

Wooj 29 Nov 2021

You lucky thing. All my daughter wants to do is go on bloody tick tock. She doesn’t give a crap about climbing. 

echo34 29 Nov 2021

Snowcard is much better, cheaper, flexible and quick pay outs with no faff if you claim.

Jeff Ingman 29 Nov 2021

I've seen a lot on here about comparisons of cover extent, what's in and what's out etc. For me the choice is also about what happens when things go wrong.

Back in 2006 two of my climbing friends died in a weird ice climbing accident in Italy. There were four of us still there trying to talk to the Carabineri and pick up the pieces. Two of us were with the BMC and two with snow card. The BMC stepped in and did pretty much everything to help us all through that time, changing flights etc and made a difficult situation as good as it could have been. They did a great job, and I still use them.

Good luck with your choice......Jeff

In reply to Jeff Ingman:

Jeff,

I have to agree that the service from the BMC insurance is outstanding. I had to use it once. I couldn't have asked for more. 

Steve

ianstevens 29 Nov 2021

Have you tried getting in touch with them rather than moaning on here?

Toerag 29 Nov 2021

One's choice of insurance provider depends on one's personal situation - both BMC and Snowcard have differences in all areas of their policies - cover offered for particular activities at particular package levels, amount of money payable in a claim, premiums charged etc.  I always have to look at both each year as my requirements vary slightly depending on who I'm travelling with and where.

The good thing is that I've not really heard of many complaints about either provider from people wishing to make claims.

daWalt 29 Nov 2021

I agree to some extend; I'v similarly use a different provider because of snowboarding.

but, it is understandable, at least in my view; the BMC probably don't want to fully enter the "snowsports" market, and taking a view on risks - if you're going to hospitalize yourself good n' proper, a snow-park is the place to do it. (please don't...)

I'll need to check what's in about splitboarding (if anything).

Robert Durran 29 Nov 2021
In reply to daWalt

> but, it is understandable, at least in my view; the BMC probably don't want to fully enter the "snowsports" market, and taking a view on risks - if you're going to hospitalize yourself good n' proper, a snow-park is the place to do it. (please don't...)

And maybe most mountaineers don't want to subsidise what has really not got a lot to do with mountaineering?

Offwidth 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

That's my main priority as well...I cant understand people who chose insurance that might not be trustworthy in the rare occasions where things go wrong.

I think the BMC should be focusing on activities within its remit, in particular it should definitely cover ski mountaineering but needs to be very careful with other non BMC related winter sports if that will force premiums up.

Snowcard is a good alternative for those who wish to engage in a wider range of snow sports as is I would guess AAC with top-up.

Post edited at 12:22
 yorkshire_lad2 29 Nov 2021

I'm happy that there is the choice out there: horses for courses.  Every insurer will take on the business/risk/profile that it wants and its underwriters will cover.  Maybe, as someone else said, talk to BMC and they may price the risk for you.  Or not.

Le Sapeur 29 Nov 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

> Have you tried getting in touch with them rather than moaning on here?

I'll second that. I've had prohibited extras added to insurance policies in the past. Usually from around £20-£30 per year.

Jim Hamilton 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

> The BMC stepped in and did pretty much everything to help us all through that time, changing flights etc and made a difficult situation as good as it could have been.

Was that the guys at the BMC office, or the emergency assistance company they use? 

LastBoyScout 30 Nov 2021
In reply to daWalt:

> I'll need to check what's in about splitboarding (if anything).

Definitely a gap in the market there...

daWalt 30 Nov 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I'm hopeful that it'll get lumped into a broader ski-mountaineering category for BMC, AAC, et all. I think "snow park" might be written out of some cheaper snowsports policies - it's worth a check. 

just as an aside to nothing; a good few years ago I went though the details of the insurance policy I'd just bought for a skiing / snowboarding trip. I explicitly was not insured against accident or injury involving, amongst other things, "balconies" or "planking" (this was back when planking was a thing)

It was very clear that I just wasn't insured against being a drunken f*ckwit......

In reply to gooberman-hill

I thought I'd add a postcript:

I had a call from a chap called Jim at the BMC yesterday. He'd seen my original post and wanted to reach out. We had a really good chat, and he explained why it wasn't currently in the insurance. We also discussed a potential solution, and he will raise the issue next time they meet with the insurers.

Thank's for reaching out - much appreciated. Well done to the BMC

Steve

Robert Durran 07 Dec 2021

> I had a call from a chap called Jim at the BMC yesterday. He'd seen my original post and wanted to reach out. 

Did he actually use the term "reach out".

If so I shall be cancelling my membership and never using BMC insurance or any other services again.

JW2020 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

He was reaching out to "touch base"

Alkis 07 Dec 2021
In reply to JW2020:

Just some blue sky thinking.

Clearly I need to get out more!

Steve

Damo 09 Dec 2021

> Did he actually use the term "reach out".

> If so I shall be cancelling my membership and never using BMC insurance or any other services again.

Oh c'mon, are you sure you're not thinking of 'reach around'?

wbo2 09 Dec 2021

So does Robert

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...