Which mountain do I climb??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kearacam 08 May 2019

Hi! 

My friend and I are planning a trip to the Pyrenees for a little mountain hike adventure. We plan to cycle to Tarbes or Lourdes and then find a mountain to hike near there. 

We have looked at Pic du Montaigu and Pic du Néouvielle but are trying to figure the easiest and flattest way to get to the start of these hikes. We wouldn’t mind getting a bus or public transport to the start of these but can’t find anything ? 

Is there anyone who knows of the best ways to get to these mountains from Tarbes or Lourdes? 

Or if there are any other mountains ( the higher the better ) that are easily accessible by road/ bus? 

Thank you ☺️🙌🏼🏔 

Rog Wilko 08 May 2019
In reply to kearacam:

Pic du Midi d'Ossau is a great peak. It is close to one of the main roads that cross the Pyrenees from France in to Spain. If there isn't a bus service you could probably hitch a lift. If fairly fit, you could, I think, get up and back in a day from the road, or there is a hut (Refuge de Pombey IIRC, maybe Pombie) about an hour from the road.

Pic du Midi d'Ossau summit (summit)

Route Adjuster 08 May 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Pic du Midi d'Ossau is indeed a beautiful mountain, but not what I would class as a hike, unless the OP is being tongue-in-cheek about what a hike might entail!

Rog Wilko 09 May 2019
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Admit it has some good scrambly bits. But I do remember doing it with my primary school age daughters back in  the '80s.

Ramblin dave 09 May 2019
In reply to kearacam:

Grand Fache and Petit Vignemale both top the magic 3000m contour, are great walks with fantastic scenery, and are approached from Pont D'Espagne, which I think is public transport accessible. Both would probably involve a night in a hut, though, and Grand Fache has some very easy but distinctly loose scrambling.

Post edited at 11:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...