What's your favourite multi day hike in Europe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
removed user 26 Feb 2019

For this summer. Pretty flexible on distance and camping on route is fine (actually preferred because those huts are €€€ and smell like latrine).

We're thinking about the Haute Route but I've done bits of it before on approaches. Might be cool to see somewhere new. 

Looks like there are multi dayers in the Dolomites. Is it as stunning as Switzerland? 

Has anyone hiked in Slovenia? I hear that's nice. 

McHeath 26 Feb 2019
In reply to removed user:

> Looks like there are multi dayers in the Dolomites. Is it as stunning as Switzerland? 

If you want the highest mountains and the biggest glaciers, then nothing compares to Switzerland. Alternatives to the Haute Route in this respect would be the Valais or the Bernese Alps. The Dolomite peaks are much lower; they're still spectacularly and stunningly beautiful though, and probably more suited to hiking/camping because you'd be nearer to or on the summits without glacier travel.

There are thousands of multi-day possibilities in the Alps and Pyrenees ... it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what sort of terrain you'd be happy with.

Post edited at 13:50
 gooberman-hill 26 Feb 2019

Sentiero Roma above Val Massino / Val di Mello. Amazing, tough territory. You can lengthen it to a full week by starting at Prata Camportacio, with a 1st night at Refugio Il Biondo, and then ading a couple of days on the end, going on From Chiesa to Poschiavio. We stayed at the Refugio Motta (close to the top of the Snow Eagle lift), and Refugio Roberto Bignami.

Steve

removed user 26 Feb 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Thanks. As for terrain, we'll do glacier travel if it's a great route. Exposure and some scrambling on route is fine. Somewhere green would be nice, not somewhere like Sardinia where it's really parched. 

john arran 26 Feb 2019

There's a great trek across the Pyrenees following a wartime escape route used by Jews and various military personnel to flee occupied France. It's called the Chemin de la liberté, it usually takes 4 days and covers very varied terrain.

Shameless plug to my wife's trekking site: https://freedomtrailtreks.com/product/chemin-de-la-liberte-freedom-trail/

Apart from the fact that you end up in remotest Spain, from which transport is awkward at best, it's quite doable independently and mostly marked, although to do so you want to be handy at map-reading rather than expecting to be able to easily follow a marked route. I've several times encountered people off-route and pretty lost as to where they should be heading. Pretty remote in places, with few other people around, and quite sobering to think of desperate people trudging it in street shoes and often during the night.

Toerag 26 Feb 2019

> Has anyone hiked in Slovenia? I hear that's nice. 

Kind of - spent a week doing VFs in the Julian Alps around Triglav / Prisank etc.  The problem is that you'll probably want to get some summits in, and the valleys are a long way down with little or no lift infrastructure.  It's really hard to get more than two days enchained without having to go a long way down to valley/pass level (1600m or below) to get to the next set of peaks (2400m+). Every day we did was the equivalent of doing one of the big UK 3 peaks as a minimum.  Aside from that, there are other bits of the Julians that may be more suitable for multiday stuff. Scenically it's similar to other bits of the limestone alps with non-horizontal strata i.e. not the famous bits of the Dollies.  It is a lot cheaper than other scenically similar places in Austria / Italy / Germany though. The Cicerone guidebook does suggest some multiday hikes.

Suggested places to go to answer your main question - I'd echo McHeath's sentiments - The really high bits mean you can't sensibly get summits in without going equipped for glaciers or staying in huts. If you don't mind not doing summits then fair enough, but if you do then pick somewhere with smaller peaks. Plenty to go at in the Dolomites / Austria / Germany with non-glacial summits, and they are stunning albeit not as snowy. I like the look of the Lechtaler Hohenweg (It has a website), that would give you 8 or so days in a row (staying in huts) if you wanted.  You could also consider the Rondane in Norway if you like your mountains more 'British' in looks and terrain. Plenty of opportunity to use huts or wildcamp and we happily managed 8 days enchained. As to huts stinking of piss - I've never found that with German / Austrian / Swiss guardianed huts. In my eyes it's better to spend money on a hut night than spending it dropping down to valley level or carrying loads of stuff. Most huts seem to have small rooms these days giving you a better night's sleep than a 40 person dorm. Assuming you're a BMC member you can get the reciprocal rights card which will save money if you do a decent number of nights in huts that take it. I don't know what the current breakeven point would be though.

Trangia 26 Feb 2019

GR 20 in Corsica 

Never done it all in one go but have spent many happy days doing large sections of it, particularly in the North.

Also Plus 1 for Pyrenees 

Frank R. 26 Feb 2019

How about part of the Haute Randonnée Pyrénéenne? There are some huts but you can mostly camp as well (overnight 9pm-7am near the huts or with some regulations), and you can combine it with some scrambles and some ~3000m non-glaciated peaks along the way. Mostly plenty of water sources, unlike the Dolomites. The downside is that you will be hiking up and down a lot each day. The upside is the huts there have pretty good and cheap wine

cb294 26 Feb 2019

Hike across Sarek, Sweden. No huts, no trails (except reindeer trails and some trampled trails in the main valleys), almost no bridges, no people (if you avoid the honey pots and bridges), no mobile phone reception, ...

Choose between glacier crossings or going around bushwhacking in the valleys. There are plenty of summits doable by walking or scrambling and even more that require proper roped climbing.

I cannot wait to get back up there!

CB

McHeath 26 Feb 2019
In reply to gooberman-hill:

> Sentiero Roma above Val Massino / Val di Mello. Amazing, tough territory. 

Yes! I nearly suggested this. It's basically a high level multi-day traverse of the southern (Italian) side of the Bregaglia. There are very basic metal bivouac huts sleeping 6 at strategic intervals, and it's easy to take in a few 3000m scrambling summits along the way. There are also the normal routes to Piz Badile and Piz Cengalo (not the rockfall side!) if you're feeling more ambitious. We started from the north (Switzerland) at Maloja with a harmless glacier approach to the Pioda hut, then crossed to the south side via an amazingly situated bivouac shelter, took in Monte Disgrazia ( long day and loose rock!) before doing the trail itself. The whole tour took us a week; highly recommended!

ise 26 Feb 2019

Gr20, Corsica. I've done it a few times, some huts are basic but it's possible to use some decent places for some nights

Dolomites, the refuges are good. There's family rooms and I use guesthouses personally for some nights

Slovène, We were looking at going this summer actually. It's a new destination for me but it looks like someone the huts are pretty reasonable

Switzerland is great, I live here 😀

CliffPowys 26 Feb 2019

All the walks mentioned are good but my favourite is definitely the GR20. Some of the huts are a bit basic but the food is good and you can camp if you wish. The walking is consistently interesting and the views stunning; although they are rocky rather than snowy. It is possible to just do the first half and leave at Vizzavona if your time is limited.

olddirtydoggy 27 Feb 2019

I got the GR20 in Corsica booked for this year. 2 friends say it's the best they've done so I put up a thread on here to gather info if that helps.

removed user 27 Feb 2019

These are great, thanks all. I'll check them all out next time I'm in front of a computer. 

removed user 27 Feb 2019
In reply to McHeath:

I like the sound of this! How busy was it when you did it?

tagscuderia 27 Feb 2019

I walked stage 2 of the HRP last summer, 9 days I think with the 10th spent in Gavarnie to see the Breche. Absolutely stunning route mostly avoiding the crowds on the GR10 and 11. Stage 2 can be 100% supported, I would avoid Refuge Wallon at all costs though, it's an absolute sh*t hole! We climbed Grande Fache and Vignemale en route, just to collect a couple of 3000m summits.

Will definitely repeat at some point, hopefully walking Stage 3 as well which is mostly unsupported but looks spectacular.

P.S. worth checking snow conditions beforehand, several high cols were impassable without ice axe and crampons.

gooberman-hill 27 Feb 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Sounds like a great trip. Youyshould be able to go between the bigger huts in a day, without using the bivvy huts (if you are not going up the peaks like you did).

My 9 year old was a bit young for Monte Disgrazia, but she absolutely loved it!

McHeath 27 Feb 2019

We only met one other pair after we'd left the Pioda hut, two Swedes who'd done the Cassin on the Badile, so we had about 5 days of solitude! This was in 1983 however, probably more traffic now (and less glacier?).

You obviously need to carry food for the bivi hut nights; water wasn't a problem as I seem to remember there being springs at regular intervals (this was in July), and there was always snow for melting not far away.

The trail was made apparently by one single dedicated man, who spent years levering granite blocks into place. It's not a path though, far from it!

McHeath 27 Feb 2019
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Yes, it's just a fantastic place to be, and wild, like you said!

Your daughter really did Monte Disgrazia at 9? That's some achievement!

Babika 27 Feb 2019

Fagaras mountain range in Romania..

It's deserted, stunning, cheap and you can go along a wonderful "spine" for miles. 

Moldoveanu is the highest peak at 2544m. Been twice in 2017 in deep snow and hot sun

Takein 27 Feb 2019

The best multi-day hiking I've done in Europe was in Georgia.  You can get there cheaply on Wizz Air, its incredibly beautiful, the mountains are quiet and it's culturally really interesting. 

Do a google, or have a look at this website for some inspiration:

https://www.caucasus-trekking.com/best-treks 3

There's also a lot of incredible alpine climbing to do if you're after more challenging terrain 

Frank R. 28 Feb 2019
In reply to tagscuderia:

Did the same route, it was pretty nice! 

removed user 28 Feb 2019
In reply to Takein:

That looks incredible. It's a bit too far for this trip but I'm definitely going one day. That's a really useful website too, gpx files and everything for all the routes. 

tagscuderia 28 Feb 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

> Did the same route, it was pretty nice! 

Did you make it to Refuge Larribet for a hot shower? The final snow field to reach the Port du Lavedan was impassable in July, sheet ice. Meant spending an impromptu night at Refuge d'Arremoulit which I wouldn't change for the world, that's a beautiful spot! The route variant across the Campo Plano and up to the Col de Fache was a highlight too, stunning landscape. But missing out on a shower was a blow

Post edited at 10:19
 Jim Nevill 28 Feb 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Did it some years ago, south to north, which is opposite to most people, but gets you fit on the really nice bottom half and then gives the northern climax when you are fit. I've heard people say the southern half is an anti-climax, not true if you do it first. (GR20 of course)

Post edited at 10:19
 Kemics 28 Feb 2019

Hut to hut routes in the Picos in Northern Spain. Amazingly wild alpine environment with almost no one there. Great food/wine. Quite possibly the best holiday I've had! 

removed user 28 Feb 2019
In reply to Kemics:

Yes, beautiful round there! Last Autumn I stayed at the hut next to Naranjo de Bulnes the day before climbing it. Would love to explore more of the Picos. 

In reply to john arran:

Couldn't recommend the Chemin de la Liberté highly enough John - 2 of us did it a couple of years back and had an extra night in the Ref Estagnous to take in Mont Vallier. Like you say getting back from Spain is not totally straightforward however we stayed in Esterri d'Anneu at the end having hitched down the road from the road head above Isil and organized a taxi back to Luchon the next day (a Sunday)...we were quoted €100 and both baulked a bit but didn't have any option but to accept. The next morning the taxi driver who we'd seen the night before in a tapas bar turned up at our 2* hotel driving a really old, diesel belching, short wheel base landrover that didn't look like it would make the journey....again we both baulked a bit.....but it was a Sunday and we didn't have another option. It was the most superb taxi journey, in stunning scenery with a wonderful driver and worth every centime of the fee and more!

And additionally as you say the history behind this route is humbling and heart wrenching.

A  Cruel Crossing by Edward Sturton

Post edited at 13:24
 Frank R. 04 Mar 2019
In reply to tagscuderia:

No, from d'Arremoulit I took the variant route as well. I bivvy'd at the lakes just below Grande Fache. The water was a bit cold, though

It was very nice, not very crowded on the HRP itself (although, R.Wallon...). Definitely going back.

And while I went unsupported, I could never say no to the Vin Rouge whenever I pitched the tarp next to a refuge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...