Warning: post brexit + covid travel to Europe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MB42 21 Oct 2020

This is in relation to Norway though quite probably applies to other places. Norway is only allowing residents of EU and EEA countries in during corona times which means that after Jan 1st uk residents are not allowed in:

https://www.udi.no/en/about-the-corona-situation/

I was planning to come for iceclimbing at the end of Jan/Feb having spent the weeks before in Denmark (assuming the quarantine on travel from Denmark is lifted before) however as I read it I still can't get in as the covid restriction is based on residency not where you've been the last few weeks, if anyone knows different I'd be keen to hear!

OP MB42 21 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

I've found the answer to my question on the UDI website and its a no:

Entry to Norway: I am a visa-free citizen and stay in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland. Can I come to Norway now?

No, you cannot come to Norway to visit. Only persons who are residents in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, and that can document settlement and legal residence, can visit Norway now.

In case it applies to other people (though the situation is slightly unusual since my wife works in Denmark so I live there part of the time though not resident) 

Post edited at 16:18
 Red Rover 21 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

That's strange given how prevalent the virus is in the EU. You'd think they'd be happy to let people in from Taiwan or NZ. Or is it a lot simpler to just say EU so you get the local travel which is essential for business and trade etc.?

ebdon 21 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

Yay! Brexit, the gift that just keeps giving. there goes my last fragments of hope for a touring trip next year.

What a shitshow

jimtitt 21 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

Post Brexit it may apply to all UK citizens who wish to travel to Europe, who knows if the UK will get on the exemption list?

OP MB42 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

It looks like a patchwork though not uncommon for EU countries to ban those resident outside EU/EEA, at least Denmark is the same (albeit with exemptions like NZ) and I think Spain is too. Iceland appeared to base it on where you'd been the last 14 days which seems more logical though I guess harder to police.

OP MB42 21 Oct 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

It doesn't appear to be an EU/EEA wide exemption list for non EU/EEA countries - there are different ones for France, Spain and Denmark, and as above none for Norway. It appears that France and Spain already include the UK as a non-EU country allowed so would seem more likely that they will let people in post-Jan whereas Norway explicitly won't and it looks like Denmark probably won't unless the cases in the UK get really low.

Post edited at 16:40
 Red Rover 21 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

Fair enough it just seems odd to treat the EU as one block as quite a few EU countries must have among the highest Coronavirus rates of incidence in the world.

jimtitt 21 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

There is an EU list and then there's the individual countries lists, take a look at Austria for the conditions of entry for example. Then there's the regional ones, live in Voralberg and your going nowhere without quarantine and tests.

cb294 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Individual EU countries can ban travel also from other EU countries (or even regions), as they did back in March. The hurdles are much higher, though, as open borders are an extremely important part of the whole EU project. Even the border checks due to the massive influx in refugees back in 2015/16 only ever were allowed for limited time windows.

Maybe that sentiment was underappreciated in the UK before the Brexit vote and during the negotiations, given that the UK was not in Schengen but the common travel area*.

For countries outside either EU/EEA and/or Schengistan the regulatory hurdles are much lower.

CB

* I know that open borders and freedom of movement for work are separate issues, but the underlying sentiment of importance for the EU project is the same.

Frank R. 21 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

Just get a residency there. What the heck, it might be actually your best option after Brexit anyway (joking, if only somewhat)!

Mr. Lee 21 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

I wouldn't read too much into this. When Norway dropped the quarantine regulations in the summer it had the same wording but actually included the UK, as if they were uninformed that the UK had left the EU. No countries outside the EU have ever been considered for waiving of the quarantine period. 

This is the link for the current quarantine regulations anyway. Everywhere apart from a few parts of Sweden are currently red, which means full quarantine upon arrival. 

https://www.fhi.no/en/op/novel-coronavirus-facts-advice/facts-and-general-a... 

jimtitt 21 Oct 2020
In reply to cb294:

> Individual EU countries can ban travel also from other EU countries (or even regions), as they did back in March. The hurdles are much higher, though, as open borders are an extremely important part of the whole EU project. Even the border checks due to the massive influx in refugees back in 2015/16 only ever were allowed for limited time windows.

No trips to Czech republic tomorrow, they just slammed the doors.

Brev 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Mr. Lee:

The quarantine-requirement is different/separate from what MB42 is talking about though.   

Current situation: UK residents can fly to Norway, quarantine for 10 days, and then have a holiday.

From 1 January, if the current covid restrictions still apply: UK residents are not allowed to enter Norway. Full stop. 

OP MB42 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Unfortunately this time they specifically address the uk in their FAQ on the immigration/travel website so its not an oversight (as below). Yes they are still applying a quarantine to most of Europe but since I can work from a laptop or travel from Denmark it was still going to be a possibility.

Brexit: I am a British citizen or a citizen of another country and a resident of the United Kingdom. Can I still travel to Norway after 1 January 2021 if the corona restrictions still apply?

No, you can not, unless you belong to one of the exceptions who can enter or are a British citizen residing in Norway and have legal residence before 31 December 2020.

The United Kingdom left the EU on 31 January 2020. According to the immigration regulations, when the transition period expires on 31 December 2020, British citizens will no longer be considered EU/EEA citizens. This means that British citizens and other citizens residing in the United Kingdom cannot enter Norway after 1 January 2021 unless you belong to one of the exceptions for citizens living outside the EU/EEA to which we have linked to above.

Post edited at 07:26
 Mr. Lee 22 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

Ok, looks like it's not an oversight in the wording this time then! 

d_b 22 Oct 2020
In reply to MB42:

Just book a trip to the sunlit uplands instead.  I hear they are great.

3 Names 23 Oct 2020
In reply to d_b:

> Just book a trip to the sunlit uplands instead.  I hear they are great.

World beating in fact.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...