Via ferratta grade comparison

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marcus Tierney 29 Jul 2022

Hi, heading out for a road trip across the Alps next month pulling in the Innsbruck area and several locations across the Dolomites. Both my wife and I have done loads of Via Feratta in the Dolomites but we will be exploring a new area in Innsbruck. Can anyone give their experience of the difference in grades. For example we have done Sci Club 18 in Cortina and fancy doing the Kaiser Max near Innsbruck. Anyone done both?

Thanks

Marcus

AlanLittle 30 Jul 2022
In reply to Marcus Tierney:

Not personally familiar with either, but on bergsteigen.com Sci Club 18 is a D and Kaiser Max is an E, so the Austrians at least think KM is harder.

I notice that the topo shows two possible escapes before the E sections though, so you wouldn't be totally committed if you do give it a go:

https://www.bergsteigen.com/fileadmin/userdaten/import/topos/kaiser_max_kle...

Post edited at 09:15
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thank you for that, it’s marginal I can see. Was aware of the escape so no doubt if my wife Michele is struggling we can bail.

Fiona Reid 30 Jul 2022

I've done Sci Club 18 but not Kaiser Max. I have done the Nassenwand (Ginzling) feratta which gets bits of E like Kaiser Max. E grade is steeper than Sci Club 18 but unless you were at your limit on that?? I reckon you'll be fine on Kaiser Max. It is escapable before the hard bit (as is Ginzling) so just run away if you're knackered or continue to the top. 

Post edited at 21:42
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks Fiona I have done Sci 18 several times and Michele has done it twice and was Ok on that so bring it on.

cragtyke 31 Jul 2022

https://www.climbers-paradise.com/en/climbing-disciplines/via-ferratas/

Lots of info and topos on here for the Innsbruck and Otztal areas.

At the grades you're thinking of I'd recommend Lehner Wasserfall - Klettersteig Left-hand Variant (VF5B) D/E, andReinhard Schlestl Klettersteig (VF4A) D. Both are valley routes in Otztal and easily combined with nearby cragging.

Other longer mountain VF are the Schlicker (Ochsenwand) Klettersteig (VF4C) C/D, and Kuhtai Panorama Klettersteig (VF4D) D/E. Both easily reached using lifts and not far from Innsbruck.

In reply to cragtyke:

Thanks will take a look

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...