Via Ferrata near Venice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezzah 09 May 2019

Dear UKC collective,

Can you recommend a Via Ferrata route or two close to Venice? I'm there for a few days later this month and don't want to drive all the way up to Cortina. If there was something like the Ivano Dibona route nearer Venice that would be ideal. Possibly a route that didn't have a 3 hour slog to get to (on the basis that I have my teenage son with me) that would be fab. If we head into the mountains it's only because the weather is good.

Cheers

Jez

Toerag 10 May 2019
In reply to jezzah:

Arco area? the ambience is very different as they're at low altitude, but the VFs can be big and technically as interesting.

Trangia 10 May 2019
In reply to jezzah:

Brigata Tridentina in the Gardena Pass near Corvara would seem to be ideal for you. It's a couple of hours drive from Venice. (Unless you are unlucky enough to coincide the journey with a cycle race over the Gardena Pass!). The start is just a short walk from the road.

It did it a couple of years ago and found it was terrific, particularly in the upper sections. Can get crowded, so very early start recommended from Venice or stay/camp in Corvara

https://www.alta-badia.org/en/leisure-activities/climbing-and-mountaineerin...

Casa Alfredino 10 May 2019
In reply to jezzah:

There are absolutely loads of Via Ferrata's closer than the two mentioned. The whole of the Bellunese Dolomites are less than 2 hours drive from Venice. Arco is a slog from venice, probably 3-4 hours drive. By comparison you could be by Agordo ready to do the Stella Alpina, one of the toughest routes in the Dolomites in 1.30 hours from Marco Polo. Our valley, there is the West Ridge of Marmolada, the VF Eterna to Punta Serauta (with cable car back down in the season and a 45 minute walk in) and the VF delle Trincee, access by cable car from Malga Ciapela (monte Padon and then path to Porto Vescovo). There's also routes on Moiazza (Castiglioni) from Passo Duran, the Tissi and Allegesi on Civetta and many many more - the Dolomites do not stop once you get south of Cortina or Corvara!

OP jezzah 13 May 2019
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

Perfect- that's the sort of beta I was after. Much appreciated, thanks.

Kean 13 May 2019
In reply to jezzah:

Winter has, however, returned to the Dollies! ...so I fear, bar a sudden heatwave, anything up high is likely to be somewhat snowy...

There's a cracking VF on Monte Grappa...depends if you have a car. 1 hr 20m drive from Venice. Low altitude, S. facing so snow free. 40m walk in.

https://www.vieferrate.it/pag-relazioni/relazioni-regione-veneto/71-grappa/... (In Italian). 

(If you let me know when you're free, I might be able to go do it with you... I live about 30 minutes from the start)

OP jezzah 13 May 2019
In reply to Kean:

Hi Kean,

I have just emailed you.

Cheers

Jez

beardy mike 13 May 2019
In reply to jezzah:

Like wise - ping me a message - I am returning to the Dolomites later in the month so will be able to give you information from the higher mountains - if there's something "in" I will try to find out... initially didn' read the end of the month bit... as Kean says, lots of snow about at the moment.

ChrisJD 13 May 2019
In reply to jezzah:

http://www.visitbondone.it/ferrata-lago/

We passed this way in the summer. Didn't have time to do it, but looked a fun a-typical via ferrata.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...