Treking peaks in Peru - Huaraz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KennyWright 02 Jan 2013
Startign to plan a trip to Peru which wil hopefully involve doing a treking peak. It sounds like Huaraz is the place to be based as its Peru's answer to Fort William. Can anyone suggest some easy objectives (hills we could walk up as the missus isn't a climber)?

cheers!
 jonnie3430 02 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

Ishinca Valley for Ishinca and Urus? Can she handle the white stuff (not that type!)?
OP KennyWright 05 Jan 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:

aye the Ishinca valley looks like a good place to go. Sounds like its strightforward to get there from Huaraz and ther are easy and relativley low objectives. Has anyone climbed any of the Urus peaks or Ishinca?
In reply to KennyWright: Yep. Climbed Ishinca in 2004. About F+/PD- then. Basecamp is about 4300m. We put an intermediate camp at 5000m just below the small glacier, which was reached by a good path in under 3 hours (from memory). A few hours in the morning on easy glacier and a short summit snow slope saw us on the summit about lunchtime, back to intermediate camp for early afternoon, and back to base for dinner. Very civilised!
 marzi 05 Jan 2013
I was there 2 years ago. The base camp for urus/ishinca is about 4300 metres and is a beautifull place to camp.

I had to turn back at the ishinca glacier due to poor aclimatisation but managed to climb urus the next day.

These are basicly trekking peaks, long slogs up easy glaciated slopes however acclimatisation is everything. I would recomend two days in teh base camp before attempting the major peaks. some acclimatise better than others but two days should have you in condition.

You could give toclaraju a bash too if you have time, although this is more of a climb and we didnt magage that one either.

Peru is awesome, you will have a blast
OP KennyWright 16 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

Has anyone climbed anything around the Cusco area? Again I would be looking for treking peaks.
 sargy 16 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

If you're planning any trekking or climbing in the Andes I can strongly recommend the trekking and climbing guides by John Biggar. Lovely guy, who will happily personally respond to any questions you may have too...
 jonnie3430 16 Jan 2013
In reply to KennyWright:
> (In reply to KennyWright)
>
> Has anyone climbed anything around the Cusco area? Again I would be looking for treking peaks.

No, but I have done Urus, Ishinca and Tocclaraju. The first two are simple, about Scottish I/II. The second has a short section of III snow after the bergshrund.

Arequipa has El Misti and Chachani, which may interest you. Look at Summitpost for more info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...