The Ridges of Norway's Jotunheim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gopejo 12 Jul 2022

Hi,

how are the conditions normally in Norway for mid-end of September. Is it worth it to go?

Thanks

Jorge

Toby_W 13 Jul 2022
In reply to gopejo:

I’d imagine pretty good but likely to depend on the weather this year.  I’ve done things twice in jan/feb time which was… ooh but stunning and lonely and dangerous due to snow conditions and a lot around July time all around Storen and Glittertind (and the walk between the two lakes in Pier Gynt).  In July every year was very different down to weather.  I could ask my friend Anders what the weather/conditions are typically like in Sept but I’d think you’d have a great time.  What were you thinking of doing?

I’m jealous!

Best of luck

Toby

Toerag 13 Jul 2022
In reply to gopejo:

Can't comment on the walking other than you're likely to have snow and ice - there was rime ice on the summit cairns (2100m?) in the Rondane in early September when I went. What may be more important is accommodation - many places close at the end of August and as such there was virtually no-one up in the mountains.

MB42 13 Jul 2022
In reply to Toerag:

The DNT huts (which isn't all of the Jotunheimen ones but is most of them) are available to use out of season but you need to be a member with a key to let yourself in when they aren't in full-service mode (a quick look at ut.no suggests for most of them this is from around the middle of September).

You can join and pick up a key at the same time from a DNT shop in any of the big cities/towns.

Post edited at 11:42
 rsc 13 Jul 2022
In reply to gopejo:

Not September, but I was there last mid-October. We got lucky with a dry week but winds were high. Ice on paths etc and some snow high up. Had a really good week- recommended!

Post edited at 20:22

Mr. Lee 14 Jul 2022
In reply to gopejo:

Don't think there is such thing as normal weather anymore, except that abnormal is increasingly normal. Could be new snow or could be dry. Could be floods on the coast and a big dump of snow in the mountains. Probably be freezing temps on the summits at night, so just depends on how much precipitation comes simultaneously. I'd plan with the expectation of possible snow and have a lower level option as a plan B in case needed. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...