Sustainable Power Generator for Mountaineers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shannon_G123 02 Dec 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm a University Final Year Product Design Student currently looking into designing a sustainable power generator and charger for mountaineers to be able to charge small portable electronic devices when in remote locations and would be really grateful for any real user feedback from my market to better target my design.

I'm currently experimenting with shapes and form to maximise compatibility to fit into a climbers backpack ideally in one of the side drink pockets or small internal pocket to be easy to use when needed. 

I'm currently looking at other means to generate power other than solar (as I've had feedback that these are temperamental in some environments when they are not positioned directly in sunlight) I'm looking at harvesting kinetic energy from a climbers movement vibrations when walking and storing the power in an integrated battery reducing the need to provide 2 separate products to fulfil the task.

I'd really appreciate any participation for my studies, it takes less than 5 minutes and all responses are anonymous.

Thank you for taking the time to read!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/P7B9PTC

tlouth7 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Shannon_G123:

Good survey, please let us know the results/outcome of the project.

wercat 02 Dec 2019

if you get it to work I think you'd better patent it before the military manufacturers get their hands on it

McHeath 02 Dec 2019
In reply to wercat:

I'm imagining one of those little nodding dogs from the backs of cars with a coil and magnet inside it, strapped to the top of your helmet (or it could be a model of the climber of your choice: Whillans, Bonington, Ondra cos of the long neck = more movement ... )

wintertree 02 Dec 2019

A permenant magnet generator with a many-pole arrangement for gear-less operation and a crank handle, with with a setting for “very hard cranking”.  Bingo - training aid and power generator in one.  

Or just a portable lithium battery pack...

Post edited at 18:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...