Styggebrean glacier approach to the ‘Porten’

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimmccall 17 Aug 2022

Hello, interested to hear from anyone who has made this approach within the last 4 weeks. Eyes on Veslpiggen and Galdhøpiggen routes 171 & 174 from the text Klatreforer For Jotunheimen if you’ve been over there… Thanks, Jim

wbo2 17 Aug 2022
In reply to jimmccall:Can't comment on that but I'd imagine pretty low volume of snow.  Isn't it normally a winter ski route?

OP jimmccall 17 Aug 2022
In reply to wbo2:

…And a summer alpine approach route… 😁

Post edited at 19:17
 wbo2 17 Aug 2022
In reply to jimmccall: What's it the approach to? Isn't it the climb up to Styggebreen from Storjuvbreen? But that's my rambling sorry, I haven't been over that way at all this year.

I should get that guide as well.. 

Nigel C 17 Aug 2022
In reply to jimmccall:

With the disclaimer that this is second hand info from friends who were up there on Sunday just gone. This is their message copied verbatim re: Styggebrean glacier:

« Very little snow, only at the very edge of the glacier, 100 meters maybe. Could have done the glacier without crampons. Only put rope on for the last part with snow.»

Enjoy the trip if you get up there.

N

OP jimmccall 18 Aug 2022
In reply to wbo2:

There are some trad routes from the Porten… we’re approaching from the Styggebrean glacier… text was a little tricky to find but seems good. Thanks, Jim

OP jimmccall 18 Aug 2022
In reply to Nigel C:

Thanks for this, Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...