Stayin' alive: BARK, buddy check & quality comms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kean 16 Mar 2021

Checklists, acronyms, and fostering open communication seem to be a critical part of risk mitigation. I teach English to a surgeon who's done a lot of that sort of stuff. From avalanche awareness to piloting aircraft the importance of checklists and open, frank conversation between participants seems to be a key part of the training. Having the courage to speak up when you're not happy, and having the humility to listen - or ask for opinions - when you're "top dog " in a team...

An American friend instilled in me the "BARK" mantra for abseiling: (Buckle, Anchor, Rap device, Knot), and the fundamental importance of fostering "buddy checking" in a climbing partnership.

"On in the car and off in the bar" was another one I learnt from him about using an avalanche beacon.

Another climbing buddy is an ambulance driver. The mantra he told me, regarding 999 callouts, was "Don't turn an emergency into a tragedy", which is also worth pondering when in the mountains. He also said that "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees is the song of choice for remembering the compression speed during CPR. (He said "Nelly the Elephant" is old school...too slow!)

Simple systems to use - especially when your brain's fizzing cos the sh*t's hitting the fan.

Any other pearls of wisdom or stuff you've incorporated into your routines and systems?

Post edited at 11:26
 Sean Kelly 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

I always recall A,B,C,D & E when arriving at an accident.

Thankfully I've only had to remember it once when a toddler ran in front of a car (no not mine) and was tossed in the air like a rag doll. It helps to focus on what's important. I don't know if the child survived or not.

nniff 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

For abseiling, I always go 'top to bottom and then back up' - Belay, rope threaded through, knot, belay device, harness, prusik, rope free, knots at end, and then a quicker back up visual check, decide where to place the rope over the edge, spot anything that has changed, note which end to pull and check that I have everything with me that I should, and check all OK from partner's perspective.

OwenM 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

"To rest is to rust" what more do you need?

Dave Garnett 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

> He also said that "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees is the song of choice for remembering the compression speed during CPR. (He said "Nelly the Elephant" is old school...too slow!)

But the beat is much easier to count under your breath for Nelly the Elephant!  And how many people know the words to Stayin Alive?

Andy Clarke 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> And how many people know the words to Stayin Alive?

I think it goes 'uh uh uh uh stayin alive stayin alive' repeat ad inf.

Andrew Lodge 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

I always thought it was the somewhat ironic "Another One Bites the Dust"

nawface 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

If you use that one definitely sing it in your head.

OP Kean 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett

> But the beat is much easier to count under your breath for Nelly the Elephant!  And how many people know the words to Stayin Alive?

I suppose you could debate which song is better for dealing with the situation at hand. Perhaps "Nellie" has the edge...you know...just to lighten the atmosphere.

Dave Garnett 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

> I always thought it was the somewhat ironic "Another One Bites the Dust"

Doesn't that have cardiac arrhythmia as its bass line? 

Chris H 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Dont use the 'punk' version of NTE by Toy Dolls

Snyggapa 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

do you push on every beat so

4 compressions in "Nellie the elephant packed her trunk" time (something like like 4 compressions every 3 seconds)

or is it 2 compressions and you are counting one up and one down - so roughly 2 compressions every 3 seconds.

or does it not really matter and the fact that you are doing them is more important than the speed?

Howard J 17 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

According to my metronome, the classic recording of Nellie the Elephant is actually fractionally faster than Stayin' Alive, and both are in the middle of the recommended range of 100 to 120 chest compressions per minute.  At 16 bars per verse, twice through Nellie is a close approximation for the 30 compressions before giving 2 rescue breaths, as advised pre-Covid.  However I suspect Stayin' Alive is more familiar to most people these days (Nellie was constantly on the radio when I grew up), and the title's connection with the action is obvious.

Whichever you use, don't sing it aloud if you want to retain any credibility as first aider.

crayefish 17 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

I am a keen diver and in diving there is the 'buddy system' too... all the usual checking of your buddy's tank valve, BCD straps, weights etc.  Its quite ingrained in diving from the very start when one learns.

However, I am not a fan, personally.  I can definitely see the use for people still learning, but I think that as someone who is reasonably proficient at something (diving, climbing, whatever), having your friend check for you is a bit of a crutch.  If you're doing something potentially dangerous, you should be perfectly capable of doing your own checks; your life depends on it after all.  I think that if you're not able to reliably tie your figure of 8, or turn your tank valve on, then you probably shouldn't be doing the activity independently (i.e. not under guidance).

Do we, as proficient car drivers, get our passenger to check if our seat belt is done up?  Do we ask the person next to us at a zebra crossing to confirm the road is safe to cross?  Probably not for most people.

Controversial perhaps, but its just my personal opinion and approach.  However, I really enjoy solo activities such as mountaineering, winter expeditions, and remote hiking, and I have no problem popping into a wreck by myself if my dive buddy isn't up for it and wants to potter about outside.

However, on the flip side, I do believe there is great merit in fostering an environment where everyone and anyone can speak out, if one happens to be in a group.  Its a big part of the safety culture at my work (oil & gas), and it can be very helpful; I try to promote it on my worksite as much as possible with things like open questions.  I definitely see people more engaged and working safer when they are encouraged to speak up, rather than just me telling them what to do.

damowilk 17 Mar 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I like the anaesthetist’s resuscitation ABCD: Arrive, Blame, Criticise, Depart

(apologies to any anaesthetists, TIC)

cb294 17 Mar 2021
In reply to damowilk:

The anaesthesists comeback is what do you call the sheet separating the side where the surgeons are working from the rest?

Blood Brain Barrier

EdS 25 Mar 2021
In reply to Kean:

I rather like the diving one

BWRAF

remembered as 

Bangkok Whores Really Are Fellas

Buoyancy,  Weights, Releases, Air & Final once over

leadbeater 25 Mar 2021
In reply to damowilk:

Don’t forget the E: Exaggerate

CantClimbTom 26 Mar 2021
In reply to kean:

Most, maybe all of my "learning experiences" have happen when I changed my mind last minute. Had a plan did all checks everything could have gone well then I changed my mind on some detail.

I'm not saying don't be flexible and replan where needed, but I am saying doing something different without replanning is very high risk.

Even when it seems a really minor point and *especially* when it's one of those "ah fk it! I'll just..." moments, stop and think it through the merits/de-merits of that "little" change.

​​​​​​That's my 2p worth on the subject.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...