Soft Shell and Hard Shell Jackets recommendation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Getoiu 28 Aug 2019

I'm not sure if  this is best to be discussed in this section but here I go - I want a new waterproof and windproof jacket/s and full-zip trousers. Until now I've been using a 2L Goretex Snowboarding clothing and although they were performing extremely well they are heavy, not very breathable and baggy. 

So what's your choice of preference with so many garments on the market? It has to be able to withstand in stormy rain and strong gusts of wind. I was thinking of shell only so I can layer up but from what I understand many people use soft shells as well.

Tringa 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Getoiu:

Have a look at the Paramo range. My Paramo jacket is pushing 20 years old and still keeps out the rain and the wind and is very breathable.  It is a bit heavy but their newer jackets are lighter.

Dave

andyd1970 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Getoiu:

Depends what time of year you are looking at. I use full on Mountain Equipment Tupilak in winter and a lighter Mammut or an even lighter Mountain Equipment jacket when it’s warm and I’m going fast.

Ive got a winter soft shell jacket that is lined and I wear in winter and a very thin one I wear in the Alps or the uk.

A good Waterproof with a goretex or similar membrane  will keep you dry and a soft shell will keep the wind out and a bit of very light rain or snow in short periods but will breath better. I usually pack one of each depending on the time of year and where I am.

If your gonna choose one it’s got to be a waterproof hardhell.

Dave the Rave 28 Aug 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

I’m in the market too for a new winter jacket for the Munro’s . Since storm flaps have gone on all but the MEKongur, please tell me that these jackets without storm flaps are reliable. I can’t see any make with a storm flap.

GridNorth 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Getoiu:

Hard shell for the UK soft shell for the alps.  Generally speaking that is. There are of course exceptions but that is my starting point.

I haven't used a hard shell in years but that's mainly because I no longer go out in really wet weather.  I have an Arcteryx hoody (Atom or something like that?)which seems to combine just the right combination of wind proofing, water resistance and breath-ability.  Expensive but very highly recommended

Al

Post edited at 20:43
 RWT 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Getoiu:

Some good answers here from others. I run very hot and personally find that even soft shells sweat out from inside, so I don't use them much, unless it's either very cold (like the Alps) or I'll be moving very slowly and there's little chance of rain. Generally this would be for climbing where the stretch and abrasion resistance make them better than a hardshell. However, even then I always carry a full set of hard shell jacket and pants in my pack (even in the hottest of weather) just in case it all goes pear shaped and you're stuck on a mountain for the night. 

Personally I use a pair of Berghaus Paclite pants, full zip which is great for getting them on and off over muddy shoes/boots or crampons, and they weigh very little. They can tear on sharp rocks fairly easy though so you have to be careful, but duct tape inside and out over the rip is a cheap fix there. 

For a jacket, I bring either an old North Face goretex jacket that's light and does the job, or an even older Patagonia top with some proprietary fabric that has a bigger hood if I'm going to be wearing a helmet. They're both fairly light, about 350g or 400g and don't have many frills, but keep the rain off well. I don't bother with pit zips but I like a jacket with large hand pockets because they can be used to help vent and I like to walk with my hands in the pockets when I'm going easy. Make sure the pockets on any jacket you buy will clear a hip belt, or harness if you climb.

I find most decent goretex jackets do what they say on the tin, and would choose one on how they fit you personally, how the hood works, how much extra weight you're willing to carry around, and budget. If money is no object you really can't go wrong with Arc'Teryx stuff, in my humble opinion they're about as good as you can get, from the fit to the warranty, but most reputable brands do good jackets that will do you fine. 

I have mates that use super lightweight rain jackets like OMM Kamleikas, but they don't leave me feeling confident that they'd survive an all day downpour, so I wouldn't bring them as my only waterproof, but that's just me. I often bring a lightweight windproof though, they only weigh aabout 100g, for when a baselayer alone isn't enough to cut the chill, but when I don't need to go full waterproof. 

andyd1970 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Hi Dave

They’ve got an internal storm flap and the zips on my Tupilak are bomber.

Never been wet in this jacket

OP Getoiu 29 Aug 2019

And is the goretex garments the best?

I can see that pretty much every brand has a different fabric. I've seen some test showing that Goretex is pretty much the best for water repellency but not that good for breathability which confirms my experience with it.

Post edited at 12:08
 Dave the Rave 29 Aug 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

Thanks Andy.

I’ll try one on. Does it stand up to rubbing from a rucksack or is it quite fragile? It’s gore tex pro isn’t it?

Dave the Rave 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Getoiu:

Hopefully I haven’t hijacked your thread and my questions are relevant? Sorry if not.

dave

OP Getoiu 30 Aug 2019

They're relevant, Dave. No worries!

andyd1970 30 Aug 2019

It’s really tough yes. I think it’s 80 denier as the 40 denier was trashed while getting battered by Nick Bullock in trials, hence the 80.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...