Sherpas' work

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 16 Jan 2019

youtube.com/watch?v=A6pLnf40OM0&

This video explains the huge efforts and risks undergone to support Western ''climbers'' on Everest.

aln 16 Jan 2019
In reply to paul mitchell:

How do you feel about that?

aln 18 Jan 2019
In reply to paul mitchell:

C'mon paul mitchell, what's your opinion? 

bouldery bits 18 Jan 2019
In reply to aln:

What's your opinion aln?

My view is that I am not well enough versed in the matter to make a statement.

aln 19 Jan 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

> What's your opinion aln?

> My view is that I am not well enough versed in the matter to make a statement.

That's much the same as my view.

Dax H 19 Jan 2019
In reply to aln:

That is an excellent video, what a humble and nice man. 

I am never going to climb everest nor any high mountain but I'm going to chip in on who I feel. 

I can't help thinking that if I did climb everest I would be euphoric at getting to the top but in the cold light of honesty I would feel belittled as a man. To get to the last camp that someone else has set up and eat the food they have provided than to have someone carry my oxegen to the top for me climbing on ropes that they have already been up and set. I would find it impossible to not compare myself to those guys and I would feel I was lacking in a big way. 

Phil1919 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Dax H:

If you are comparing yourself to other people you will always be dissatisfied.

planetmarshall 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Dax H:

> I can't help thinking that if I did climb everest I would be euphoric at getting to the top but in the cold light of honesty I would feel belittled as a man. To get to the last camp that someone else has set up and eat the food they have provided than to have someone carry my oxegen to the top for me climbing on ropes that they have already been up and set.

And if providing that service puts food on their tables, lifts communities out of poverty and educates their children?

> I would find it impossible to not compare myself to those guys and I would feel I was lacking in a big way. 

And you would be correct. Nepalese Sherpas have several genetic advantages that can make their feats at altitude seem nothing short of superhuman.

I don't know if you have much experience at that kind of altitude but after being of much the same opinion regarding expedition style ascents, I recently returned from the Himalaya with a big dose of humility and a somewhat different perspective.

Dax H 19 Jan 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

> And if providing that service puts food on their tables, lifts communities out of poverty and educates their children?

I'm not knocking the sherpas in any way, they like many other less privileged people are hard workers and do what they need to do to survive. 

> I don't know if you have much experience at that kind of altitude

Bugger all as I alluded to in my post

> but after being of much the same opinion regarding expedition style ascents, I recently returned from the Himalaya with a big dose of humility and a somewhat different perspective.

And that is exactly how I think I would feel if I were out there. I'm sure it is a life changing tremendous feat to climb everest even with assistance but I would certainly feel humbled by the people providing that assistance and it would lessen my experience a bit, but maybe the tradeoff to being humbled is that in recognising that it would make me a better person. 

aln 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Dax H:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. But I was asking paul mitchell for his opinion. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...