Seeking first European portaledge adventure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lazycat 31 Dec 2018

I'm looking to spend a night on a portaledge in 2019 as an adventure somewhere in Europe. 

Can anyone recommend any easy multi-day crags (ideally 1 night) to get the hang of using a portaledge and have an enjoyable experience?

Currently climb comfortably up to 6a outdoors all day geared up so wouldn't want anything too challenging to begin with.

Thank you

IPPurewater 31 Dec 2018
In reply to lazycat:

Presles, Terradets and Vilanova De Meia immediately come to mind although you'd normally do the routes there in a day.

The Kaisergebirge and Karlwendalgebirge also have some fairly big walls.

Post edited at 16:23
 philhilo 31 Dec 2018
In reply to lazycat:

Remember that adding a ledge/overnight kit/all the faffage that comes with it will slow you down considerably so don't imagine you have to do something you that would take two days. 10 pitches will be sensible - 20 less so! Plus the steeper it is the easier the hauling but harder the climbing. Enjoy the best nights sleep ever.

my 31 Dec 2018
In reply to lazycat:

This is on my 2019 list also, let me know if you need a partner in crime

MischaHY 31 Dec 2018
In reply to lazycat:

Verdon is a good place for this. Exposure, high walls, but basically friendly and accessible. You might struggle at 6a though. Plenty of time this winter to get stronger...! 

OP lazycat 01 Jan 2019
In reply to IPPurewater:

thanks for the tips. a day route might be a good option to split into 2

OP lazycat 01 Jan 2019
In reply to philhilo:

thanks for the advice!

OP lazycat 01 Jan 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

thanks for the suggestions. you're right, i am focusing on building up my strength. carrying a heavy pack makes everything so much harder though

MischaHY 01 Jan 2019
In reply to lazycat:

You don't carry a pack when sleeping on a ledge - or when climbing hard multipitches. Look up hauling systems - 'Multipitch Climbing' from Andy Kirkpatrick has some good examples and will teach you plenty of other things as well. When climbing harder multipitch somewhere like Verdon I generally climb on a single, trailing a second half rope for use as a haul line - microtrax plus jumar is enough most of the time. This process can be sped up further if your partner rope solos the fixed lead line whilst you haul - this takes practice and confidence in systems, however. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...