Scarpa Mont Blanc pro gtx vs phantom tech?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 creatamax 07 Dec 2020

Hi everyone, Hope your all doing good and managing to get out and not go crazy during these times. Probably been asked before but here go's.

Looking for a pair of boots for uk/scottish winter all round mountain use and easier ice climbs as still pretty new to it, but want something to progress into rather then needing to upgrade again. Also for use in the alps in summer for above 2000+ Routes but will make do on lower stuff or use my hill boots for that and maybe good weather winter days?.

Looking at the 2020 Phantom Techs or Mont Blanc pro gtx.

Who's used both? or either?.  

I know the techs are lighter and more nimble and supposed to be a bit warmer hence why i'm more pushed towards them as losing weight on your feet is only a good thing, but are they just as durable? Concerned on the zip jamming/braking? is that a thing or do they just last with proper cleaning and care?.

Just looking for honest reviews from real time users.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

crayefish 07 Dec 2020
In reply to creatamax:

Cant comment on the exact boots specifically, but I have a set of Phantom Ultras (old style gator zip) that have lasted very well over years, except the sole which has worn very thin.  I also have a set of Phantom 6000s with the new style zip (same as the Techs I think) and so far its been trouble free.  I really love my Scarpa integrated gator boots and have had no problems with the gators/zips.

tjdodd 07 Dec 2020
In reply to creatamax:

Re the zip, I have the Phantom 6000s and had some issues initially but that was resolved by applying silicon spray to the zip every so often.  No issues now.

OP creatamax 07 Dec 2020
In reply to crayefish:

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear the zips are ok I was a bit concerned but sounds like they should be ok. Thanks again.

OP creatamax 07 Dec 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah was hoping that might be the case that if they are well looked after they will be good. Cheers mate.

Alex Riley 07 Dec 2020
In reply to creatamax:

I’ve got a pair of the old mont Blancs, if I was to buy again I’d buy the techs. That said I think they have fixed a few of the niggles I have with the old mint Blancs (wet out around the tongue easily, for me cold).

I’ve got a summer pair of scarpa trekking boots that are fantastic too.

cb294 07 Dec 2020
In reply to creatamax:

Phantoms. I have the old Guides and the 6000s, both are great. They even came with silicone grease for the zippers, never had any issues.

Better make sure that you have "Scarpa feet", though. Some of my friends had to sell their new boots again because the heel construction exerted too much pressure on the achilles tendon.

CB

Mowglee 07 Dec 2020
In reply to creatamax:

I was weighing this up as well recently. The Mont Blancs are a much tougher and more durable boot. One mis-placed crampon could puncture the upper on the Phantoms, and the sole is also quite a lot thinner. The zip also seems like a possible weak spot.

The Trango Tower Extreme GTX looks like a good alternative - much cheaper, even lighter than the Phantoms, and a more conventional design without the possiblity of zip issues. Might be worth a look - although the UKC review also highlighted fast wear on the sole. At least they can be re-soled.

Johnhi 07 Dec 2020
In reply to cb294:

I've used both the Scarpa Charmoz and Mont Blanc, the later are the comfiest boot of any description I've ever owned but the Charmoz utterly shred my Achilles.  Given they're on the same last I can't quite figure it out.

OP creatamax 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Mowglee:

I did think the same about durability but seems the zips are not much of an issue, although they do have the thin soles but can be re soled and apparently the soles don't ware as quick on the new phantom techs. As for the Trango range of boots they shred my heels so bad. Never had any boots give me blisters very luckily but the trango towers give me crazy heel blisters after only a few hours use as the heel fits really bad, but the nepal boots are amazing so shows what different lasts can do. Is a shame though or i would strongly consider the Tower extremes.

DH3631 07 Dec 2020
In reply to creatamax:

Having had both MBs, and a predecessor of the current phantom, on the face of it the MB is probably more suited to your needs, or anyway, it shouldn't hold you back. Also, a leather boot with deeper tread on the sole should always be more durable. Whatever material a synthetic boot is made of, it only needs one or two nicks in the upper to stop being waterproof, whereas with leather boots you can always re-wax. As regards warmth, the phantom may be a bit warmer in theory, but if it is a neat fit on your feet, you may find that in practice the MB is warmer as there may be more space for your toes, being a different last. Another reason why trying both on is strongly advisable.

OP creatamax 08 Dec 2020
In reply to DH3631:

Thanks mate thats some really sound advice, really appreciate that. Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...