Salbitschen bivouac hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 morganator 31 Jul 2022

I am heading there soon and wondering if anyone had any info about whether there is reliable water supply at the bivi hut, given the really hot dry last 6 months in the Alps. My guess is there'll zero snow melt so are there likely to be any nearby streams right under a huge lump of non glacial granite?

Misha 31 Jul 2022
In reply to morganator:

I don’t think there is anything next to the bivvy hut but there is a water pipe at the main hut which is on the way (and most of the way up in altitude), as well as a small stream across the path a bit further along (or at least there was a few years back).

OP morganator 31 Jul 2022
In reply to Misha:

Great, thanks Misha. Thinking the bivi hut might be rammed- did you spot any suitable doss spots outside/nearby if needed?

Rick Graham 31 Jul 2022
In reply to morganator:

I have been up a few times and either stayed at the main hut or dossed below the east face (numerous options ) which is on the traverse round to the bivi hut. If you are just after the west ridge, you will have to do the traverse in the morning if dossing or staying at the main hut, or in the evening if staying at the bivi. 

We chose option one, as it gave more options for climbs pre and post west ridge day. I recall topping up with water before the bivi hut but it was in a brief lull between bad weather , so not much use for your original question.

OP morganator 31 Jul 2022
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks Rick, We're planning to do the S Ridge as a warm up so those doss spots below the E Face sound ideal for that. Staying in the hut is obviously an option too, but I thought I'd suss out the bivi logistics as we'll almost certainly do the W ridge later too

Misha 31 Jul 2022
In reply to morganator:

Can’t recall I’m afraid, that’s not to say there aren’t any. 

KA 02 Aug 2022
In reply to morganator:

There's a an excellent bivi spot 10 minutes on from the main hut, just off the path, by a huge boulder, and about 5 minutes before a stream. The stream was flowing well in the afternoon/evening, but there wasn't even the tiniest of usable trickles first thing in the morning. 

Alan.T 03 Aug 2022
In reply to morganator:

We bivvied close to Salbithutte last week as there wasn't space in hut and the walk in is ok. There is a sign next to the path saying 'camping forbidden' so I'll leave you to decide whether a bivi is classed as camping. We packed up before first light and the bivi gear was stashed out of sight and we didn't know about camping ban beforehand which is how we justified doing it. Saying that I'd probably do it again in the same way (late camp, early rise, hide gear, leave no trace). Salbit biwak is reportedly closed following covid? https://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts-and-tours/sac-route-portal/2147000230/ the website previously said it was due to open on 26th July I think so not sure what has changed. I can't remember availability of water.

OP morganator 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Alan.T:

Cool- thanks Alan. Great knowledge. By the way I am assuming it is completely free of snow for the descent? Was hoping to get away with trainers and no axe or crampons

Alan.T 03 Aug 2022
In reply to morganator:

We'd planned to do South ridge but woke up to cloud and drizzle, we walked in to start of climb hoping it would clear but it didn't so we sadly headed back down to valley. There was no snow around and we didn't take crampons or axe, I don't think there'd have been any snow on descent side but didn't see it first hand. Hope you have a good trip.

KA 03 Aug 2022
In reply to morganator:

Avoidable snow on the descent, we just wore trainers three weeks ago.

LucaC 04 Aug 2022
In reply to morganator:

When we were there in 2018 (I think) there were a couple of large blue barrels collecting rainwater a few meters uphill from the hut. We just boiled and drank that. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...