Ryanair luggage question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm flying to Bergamo on Sunday, heading for some Via Ferratas. Can anybody think of a reason why I shouldn't pack my helmet in the hand baggage?

MG 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Michael Griffith:

Because security might take it off you would be one reason.

Nope! You're fine taking a helmet in hand luggage.

Post edited at 14:54
 MB42 05 Sep 2019

I've regularly flown with my climbing helmet in hand luggage (well carried on to save space, you can always wear it if they complain) with no problem. I do it cos Im afraid that it might get damaged by careless luggage handling if it was in the hold.

gethin_allen 05 Sep 2019
In reply to GothenburgClimber:

Indeed, I've flown a fair few times with climbing or cycling helmets in my hand luggage.

GridNorth 05 Sep 2019

I wouldn't advise either for or against but I would point out that it's a risk.  It has nothing to do with the Airline and seems to have little to do with Airport Security per se and "policy" in general. Unfortunately it's often down to the individual Security person. My mate once had his rope confiscated while I got mine through on the same flight, at the same time but 2 check points away. From that day onwards I've never taken the risk again and pack anything that is "gear" into the hold luggage.

Al

Wear it for the flight, those overhead lockers are stuffed to bursting point. You can never be too safe. 

I have a vague recollection about there being a "get out" clause for ppe in hand luggage. 

peanuts 05 Sep 2019

I’ve taken helmets, ropes, harnesses, chalk bags (unidentified white powder) many times without issue. 

I always put the rack in hold luggage though. My go to whenever I have been questioned (although only based on the size of my hand luggage, not the content, and typically at the gate) is to say I’ll not bother taking the flight then. This means they’d have to unload my checked bag from the hold & amazingly they seem to find space for my slightly larger hand luggage. 

It does seem a little naughty but I think why not, the usual punters are allowed 8ft of duty free toblerone & other nonsense as additional carry on, plus since I keep myself lean I feel extra weight allowance should be afforded for my efforts 

Post edited at 16:29
 ebdon 05 Sep 2019

I've always packed my hemet in hand luggage, including Ryanair, with no issues. 

I actually tell a lie I once packed my helmet in hold luggage and it was crushed so I vowed never again.

Also be careful with the overhead storage as some idiot will ram an oversized wheely suitcase in on top of it if your not careful (seen this happen to a mate)

Post edited at 16:44
 GridNorth 05 Sep 2019
In reply to peanuts:

My go to whenever I have been questioned (although only based on the size of my hand luggage, not the content, and typically at the gate) is to say I’ll not bother taking the flight then. This means they’d have to unload my checked bag from the hold & amazingly they seem to find space for my slightly larger hand luggage. 

I love that, instant karma, unfortunately it usually the people at the security check that are the real issue and they could not give a damn. Mind you they could always call your bluff.

Al

Post edited at 16:59

I can imagine in the mind of a stressed security person I might be going to wear it to protect my head when I run amok in the aisle and attack the crew. I have stuffed it full of clothing and squeezed it into my 10kg hold bag.(£10 each way, a Ryanair bargain but only a bargain if they get me there and back).

Andypeak 06 Sep 2019

As everyone else says I've flown many times with my helmet in hand luggage. As a word or warning though Ryan Air have changed hand luggage to laptop size bag now so you have to pay extra to take a backpack size item of hand luggage. 

yorkshire_lad2 06 Sep 2019
In reply to peanuts:

> It does seem a little naughty but I think why not, the usual punters are allowed 8ft of duty free toblerone & other nonsense as additional carry on, plus since I keep myself lean I feel extra weight allowance should be afforded for my efforts 

My Mum (who is no longer with us) told me stories of when she flew in the 1950s they would weigh all passengers to work out how much fuel to carry.  Having suggested (or maybe it was taking the p***) that Ryanair would charge for using the toilets, I wonder what would happen if Mr O'Leary would ever suggest charging passengers by weight .... I wouldn't put it past him.... small children might be a lot cheaper.... to fly ...  Or maybe (as implied by the OP above) give everyone a weight allowance to use as they want (self + luggage).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...