Rocky Alpine Ridges Near Saas Fee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Csimp1 07 Aug 2022

Currently camping in saas grund. Looking for a scramble/alpine rocky ridge to climb in the next few days to tidy up some alpine rock skills. Looking for a recommendation, doesn't have to be a route on a 4000er. 

Cheers, C 

mcawle 07 Aug 2022
In reply to Csimp1:

Dri Hornli traverse? I haven’t done it but it’s meant to be decent.

Alfrede 07 Aug 2022
In reply to mcawle:Your post is a bit vague as you don’t suggest what grade you climb at or whether you are soloed or accompanied but there are multiple options available. The Dri Horlini is the simplest and most obvious. A lovely route as a long day hit from the valley or a leisurely one from the hut. Even In present conditions I imagine the Weissmies by the Rotgrat, descending by the SE ridge would give a grand longer day out at around PD+. (Rotgrat not well known but good bêta available from the hut and a fine quiet route.) The famous Portschengrat is obvious but much harder and not really a ‘training’ route. The same applies to other fine options such as the Jagegrat/Lagginhorn S Ridge/Weissmies N Ridge which are into AD/D territory. (I suggest you avoid the Egginer and Stellihorn ridges as they are seriously loose and unpleasant.) These routes should be good choices in dry conditions - I hope so as I am planning them at the end of the month! If you haven’t already done it, I think the Horlini picks itself for your needs! If you just want to do some convenient rope training try the short ridge immediately above the Hohsass hut. I know some alpine guides who use it for training purposes as it is very accessible and unserious. Have a good time and watch out for falling rocks!

OP Csimp1 07 Aug 2022
In reply to Alfrede:

Thanks for the info, appreciate the post was a bit vague - did try to edit but the system wouldn't let me. Good info about the ridge behind hosaas and Egginer. The ridge above hosaas sounds like what we were looking for. Good luck with your trips. 

philipjardine 07 Aug 2022
In reply to Alfrede:

Alf did you see the other post on here about the state of the Windjoch?

"very steep and complicated/exposed to rockfall in decent.  The snow arête on the ridge is fine but getting down is pretty involved. "

Post edited at 19:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...