rimaye à étage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipjardine 18 Feb 2023

"Rimaye à étage" is the French word for a rimaye (bergschrund) with not one but several crevasses that may or may not have multiple bridges (I hope you get the idea).  Whats the best way to express this in English?  Many people will be familiar with "étage" in the sense of floors in a house but in French it can also mean layers (for instance of a cake), tiers, storeys etc I think (I am a native English speaker).  

On line-translations give this as "floored rimaye". which doesn't really help.

mountainbagger 18 Feb 2023
In reply to philipjardine:

Staggered rimaye?

A pain in the arse?

Ciro 18 Feb 2023

Accordion bergschrund.

OP philipjardine 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Ciro:

I like this one!

jcw 18 Feb 2023
In reply to mountainbagger:

In reply to cdpej:

Never heard that term: presumably successive rimayes. The best example was/is of course the famous triple rimaye to get into the Ryan, Croc, and Pain de Sucre all of which i've done. 

Webster 18 Feb 2023

my french is only basic, but if i read that in a guide i would interpret it as 'multi-stage rimaye'.

as an aside, rimaye and bergschrund are not actually the same thing in a glaciology sense (though they are often used interchangeably). one is the gap between the rock and the ice, and the other is the gap between the ice stuck to the mountain and the moving ice. im not 100% certain which is which, but i am fairly sure the rimaye is the former and the schrund the latter.

Webster 18 Feb 2023

i stand corrected, the 'randkluft' is the gap between the rock and the ice. the french us 'rimaye' to cover both terms.

jcw 18 Feb 2023

No, there is a special rather recondite term in French making that distinction, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is.

Rick Graham 19 Feb 2023

> "Rimaye à étage" is the French word for a rimaye (bergschrund) with not one but several crevasses that may or may not have multiple bridges (I hope you get the idea). Whats the best way to express this in English? Many people will be familiar with "étage" in the sense of floors in a house but in French it can also mean layers (for instance of a cake), tiers, storeys etc I think (I am a native English speaker).  

> On line-translations give this as "floored rimaye". which doesn't really help.

I think this would be described as a complex , double , multiple  bergschrund or rimaye by an English speaking alpinist.

OP philipjardine 20 Feb 2023
In reply to jcw:

> No, there is a special rather recondite term in French making that distinction, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is.

Recondite is a lovely word!  The word you are looking for is "la roture". It's sometimes used for the "crevasse" between a snow slope (that isnt a glacier) and the mountain itself.  For instance at the start of many of the routes above the Envers hut.  Lots of native French speakers dont seem to know what it means and in practice "rimaye" covers both things.  I can't help with German but it sounds like they have 2 separate words as well.  

Forum posting on camp to camp says "mot savoyard dérivé du latin ruptura". 

Post edited at 19:23
 Brass Nipples 20 Feb 2023

A maze of crevasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...