Rifugio Chabod approach?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 04 Feb 2019

Have tried some cursory Googling but can't find an answer -- how long does it take to walk from Valsavarenche to the Rifugio Chabod?

alpinero 04 Feb 2019
In reply to alexm198:

You can check the vertical and horizontal distances on Google Maps, then you can estimate the time based on your fitness level.

OP alexm198 04 Feb 2019
In reply to EwanR:

But of course! Readily available on Google. Excuse my ineptitude...

cb294 04 Feb 2019
In reply to alexm198:

Depends on where you start. Two hours (ish), IIRC, from the lower campground.

CB

ben b 04 Feb 2019
In reply to alexm198:

That must be the new Italian restaurant in Capel Curig, right?

b

Tom Green 05 Feb 2019
In reply to alexm198:

Hi mate, we skinned up it in about three hours, but that was fairly leisurely, including stopping to take photos of Chamois and generally being tourists! 

With the snow cons we had (almost exactly this time last year) it would have been a much longer slog without the skis. The section above the tree line would have been post holing. 

In reply to alexm198:

Done GP back in August 2017 from the Chabod hut. 

Took us about 2 hrs 30 mins to reach the hut from the road - We did stop a fair bit to take pictures, eat lunch and look at wildlife - It's a stunning walk up, enjoy it. 

OP alexm198 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Tom Green:

Cheers all. Should've mentioned I meant in winter. Skis it is, postholing for hours sounds rank.

jon 05 Feb 2019
In reply to alexm198:

2h30 to 3h is about right. Expect to have to carry your skis a bit in the first half in the trees. 

Tom Green 05 Feb 2019
In reply to alexm198:

Yeah, especially as the final slog up to the hut is a bit steep for snow shoes!

The ski back through the forest is fun too... trying not to build up too much speed on the narrow straights, so that I could make the turn on the hairpin bends! I wish I was a better skier!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...