Representation of early women alpinists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Deuce4 01 Dec 2021
 leland stamper 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Deuce4:

This is fascinating  especially in the way women climbers are lost from history or at least buried. You mention Lydia Bradey who after climbing with you almost got written out of her Everest success. Hope you don't mind a brief plug for a podcast she is doing with Hazel Findlay this Friday.

https://www.urbanuprising.org/events-1/hazel-findlay-and-lydia-bradey-adven...

OP Deuce4 01 Dec 2021
In reply to leland stamper:

Great!  Will try to connect for the podcast, sounds great!

iccle_bully 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Deuce4:

Possibly slightly off topic but I started listening to Thinking Allowed on the BBC yesterday, Arlene Blum talking about her expeditions and life was really interesting. 

OP Deuce4 04 Dec 2021
In reply to iccle_bully:

not at all off topic.  My sister knew Arlene Blum somehow and I saw her speak once as a young climber ( in Wellesley maybe?  like 45 years ago). She was one of the first to point out to my generation that climbing was of course the domain of men and women.  Most of the “classic” books at the time it was all about the hearty men who conquered virgin peaks.  
Blum is amazing, I have read her books, very good classics of the mountaineering literature.

edit-yes, she was teaching at Wellesley College at the time I heard about her, my sister went there for university at the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...