Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Loading Notifications...

Recommended book for newbie alpine climber

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 MisterPiggy 15 May 2020

Evenin' all,

I did sniff around the site and didn't find any recent postings on this topic.

I'm getting back outdoors after years doing other things. I learned trad climbing in the 80s when it was just 'climbing', and learned with an equally clueless buddy. The things we did through ignorance... Yikes! We did a fair bit of Scottish winter climbing too, again, learning the hard way.

Anyhow... This time around I want to do some alpine climbing, adventurous routes without scaring myself or dying, nice mixed routes eg Frendo Spur. The actual climbing will start in earnest 2021, the intervening months getting fit, taking a course, buying some gear and hiking/climbing outside. So alongside all this, I'm looking for something to read, a general how-to guide to alpine climbing. Anyone have any recommendations? Any/all thoughts welcome.

Have a good evening and safe weekend,

julian

JLS 15 May 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I’m not sure about a book but this DVD is invaluable.

https://shop.thebmc.co.uk/product/alpine-essentials/

99ster 15 May 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

'Alpine Mountaineering: Essential Knowledge for Budding Alpinists'
by Bruce Goodlad

That's the best book for a beginner.

In reply to MisterPiggy:

You may not be able to afford this but I still like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpinism-Introduction-Safe-Alpine-Mountaineering/dp/1871890098

He has a dry sense of humour - 'The mountains will still be there but you may not be' - and he's honest enough to acknowledge that you still have to accept a degree of risk in the Alps.

Sean Kelly 15 May 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

No book info as such but a lot of classics in the Dolomites with lots of pegs or bolts for protection. So as they say , good for the married hardman but you need to be fit in the arms for the bigger routes.  And there are always Via Ferrata. Enjoy!

Post edited at 18:17
 Mark Haward 15 May 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Another vote for the Goodlad book...

Albert Tatlock 15 May 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Just carry on from were you left off years ago, not much has changed. Search these forums for alpinist related stuff / advice , you will be fine. Remember every trip is still an holiday. 🍺

MisterPiggy 17 May 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Thank you all for your recommendations, I'll probably get them all. Alongside the excellent BMC videos and some websites I found, I can get up to speed before my course.

And the via ferrata will be great for my wife to get used to 'exposure' in safety: she's never climbed.

Good weekend to all 😀

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.