Recommend a small, light, useful exped gift?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 19 May 2022

Hey all

I have a friend who is well into the whole expedition thing and is off to Tajikistan soon for a long itinerary (7000m ish). It's her birthday soon and I'm looking for a gift that would be 'useful' on exped. So something small, light and that luxury item that you'd take with you.

I'm not an exped type guy, so after any recommendations from those who are. What's your small/light luxury item!

Many thanks in advance...

Si

cb294 19 May 2022
In reply to Si Withington:

Steel coffee filter inset for Nalgene bottles.

The one thing that makes exped life worth living!

E.g.   https://www.rei.com/product/750397/gsi-outdoors-h2jo-coffee-filter

Other brands are also available.

leon 1 19 May 2022
In reply to Si Withington: Yorkshire Tea bags for those who hate coffee and a really lush comfy inflatable pillow for basecamp use with a pillowcase for even more luxury. A pack of Lomotil can be a thoughtful gift as well

Post edited at 11:45
 Trangia 19 May 2022

Kindle if she doesn't have one?  Saves the weight of several books

If she already has one, maybe ask her if you can pay for a download of a book she would like?

Tom Briggs 19 May 2022

Down booties if she hasn't got any.

nufkin 19 May 2022

>  small/light luxury item!

Wetwipes

mcawle 19 May 2022
In reply to cb294:

Haven't used that but as long as one has a cup (or e.g. a plastic bowl from the MSR windburner stoves or similar) then this works really well and is negligible from a weight perspective: https://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-java-drip-coffee...

stubbed 19 May 2022

One of those small water filters that you can pump directly into a water bottle

Tiny roll up hammock

Small waterproof bags if you are going really cheap

Mark Haward 19 May 2022

Small notebook and pencil perhaps.

Large capacity sd card for the camera if they have one

Single malt miniatures!

Jenny C 19 May 2022

Following on from this thread

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/hill_talk/lady_litter_a_delicate_subject-...?

What about a Kula Cloth?

zb1 19 May 2022

A Swiss Army Card?

I was given one as a stocking filler a few years ago and thought at the time "can't see that being much use but thanks" (I'm obviously an ungrateful git). I was very wrong.

It now lives in the lid of my climbing bag and has been very useful on numerous occasions. It weighs nearly nothing, is the size of a credit card and has sorted out broken nails, splinters, removed ticks (a tick card is better but I didn't have it with me), cut tat, trimmed plasters and dressings, got rid of threads and frayed edges. The only thing it has let me down on is opening bottles of beer!

CantClimbTom 19 May 2022
In reply to zb1:

> The only thing it has let me down on is opening bottles of beer!

in times of great need, I've found wiregate krabs my saviour

Iggy_B 19 May 2022

A Black Diamond Volt - small lantern that takes regular batteries. Hang in your tent and read by it, don't waste your head torch batteries and have them die on a rotation. Don't blind your tent mate when you look look in their direction. Has a small torch function too.

PaulJepson 19 May 2022

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink. My favourite and probably only item I'd consider luxury when I go on long multi-day hikes. Absolute bliss to soak and wash your feet in, super useful for doing the dishes, and great for porting water if you're going to be far from a source. It allowed me to camp in some amazing places that otherwise I wouldn't have been able to (as there wasn't water in proximity). 

Wainers44 19 May 2022

Inflatable solar charged lantern.  Nice bit of extra light light 

OP Si Withington 20 May 2022

Thanks for all the replies 🙏 

David Bowler 21 May 2022

Patum Peperium.

Rob Parsons 21 May 2022
In reply to nufkin:

> Wetwipes

+1

Mountain money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...