realities of Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 09 Nov 2018

youtube.com/watch?v=s1nFYQTu9eE&        Kindness and cruelty on Chomolungma.

tehmarks 09 Nov 2018
In reply to paul mitchell:

Just curious: would you post this if it featured your brother? Sister? Father? Best friend?

OP paul mitchell 09 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Several of my friends   have died in the Himalayas.Others in the Alps.

They chose to go there knowing the risks.

tehmarks 09 Nov 2018

The risk of having their body shamelessly videoed and shown on YouTube?

I'm going to leave this discussion here before I get annoyed. It's just plain bad taste.

OP paul mitchell 09 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Like I said,they knew the risks.Be annoyed if that's what you feel.

Lusk 09 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I see Mountaineering is your main activity.
Carry on and keep your head in the sand then.

tehmarks 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Lusk:

I'm well aware that death happens in the mountains. That's not an excuse to go round filming dead people for the entertainment of the world though, is it? It's a few thousand vertical metres removed from filming car crash victims on your way past on the motorway.

Lusk 09 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Aye, but in this day and age where you can take a picture or video on your phone almost anywhere on the planet, then a few clicks later, it's spread worldwide.  Like it or not, that's the world we live in now.

alpinero 10 Nov 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Car crash victims can easily be removed, on Everest, your body will stay there for many years. You don't appropriate a piece of land up there just by dying. You wanted to do something big and failed, and then you're polluting the place with your corpse. People who die up there but did not leave some $$$ behind for the sherpas to clean up their junk deserve no respect and should be shamed IMHO.

drsdave 10 Nov 2018

If you watch Fri Night Vid: what if he falls? Alex Honolds solo up El Cap, the film makers go to great pains in ethically reasoning their involvement with the film making process. All of them were aware of their potentially intrusive involvement. At one point on the crux boulder problem the team decided to film remotely out of site as this was a part of Alex’s wishes that should he fall he didn’t want his friends to be a part of the visual theatre.

if considering say VICE TV for example, if you’ve ever seen it, well they have produced what could be called ethnolographic situational films which lead little to the imagination. Good film making of this or any kind has to have ethics guiding the production otherwise it will appear to lack sensitivity and intelligence. Judge things for yourself is what I do. With regards to well this is the way things are today is a cop out and negligent. “Today” will always be defined by our actions and just because someone does something doesn’t mean you have to do likewise.

IMO for what it’s worth, you can shut Everest down for me it’s more trouble than what it’s worth and there’s better mountains to climb. I wonder if Mr K Cool has watched this, I wonder what his opinion would be? Just a thought really, right I’m off to drink a beer.

removed user 11 Nov 2018
In reply to alpinero:

> Car crash victims can easily be removed, on Everest, your body will stay there for many years. You don't appropriate a piece of land up there just by dying. You wanted to do something big and failed, and then you're polluting the place with your corpse. People who die up there but did not leave some $$$ behind for the sherpas to clean up their junk deserve no respect and should be shamed IMHO.

Wow, so edgy. I hope you've got a rope protector for all that edge. 

alpinero 11 Nov 2018
In reply to removed user:

> Wow, so edgy. I hope you've got a rope protector for all that edge. 

Edgy? Not at all, just expressed a humble opinion. :^) Maybe I went a bit overboard with that last part. Anyway, its not the same situation as with car crash victims, whoever goes up there has accepted that if he dies there, he'll be the subject of a documentary to educate/entertain others, and they wouldn't call the filmers shameless...

Pete Boardman did not die on the southern route.  He died on the NNE Ridge.  It is difficult not to conclude that this mawkish film is in very poor taste.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...