RAB vPHD sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Burly1973 17 Jul 2020

Afternoon everyone,

I’ve been looking and reading up a lot about Rab and phd sleeping bags... for expedition use how much of a difference is there really between the two makes?

price is one thing but actual capabilities between both

thanks for feedback

ScraggyGoat 17 Jul 2020

I have a two rab bags and one PhD. The older Rab bag is comparable to the PHD in terms of quality, but obviously is a much heavier construction as would be expected for its age (20 years old). 

My newer Rab bag (c. 12 years old) in terms of quality is quiet frankly Sh*t, internal baffles have partly come away (and did so quiet quickly) allowing the down to shift around between compartments.  Down quality in terms of loft in the Rab feels far inferior...however I may be unfairly comparing differing fill power downs. I sent it back and Rab didn't even address the stitching failure which is why I sent it back and was clearly communicated to them, they just washed it (foc) and sent it back saying it was O.K.........not impressed.

The Phd bag (ten years old); construction, cut, loft and dri-shell outer in terms of drip-proofing is far better than the pertex on the rab.

Sleeping bags are expensive life-time purchases, if manufacturers get it wrong and don't make good, they don't deserve a second chance. I have avoided buying any Rab products ever since.

Post edited at 13:04
OP Burly1973 17 Jul 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat: thanks for the info,

I have a phd minimus but only rated to -5 just wondering about getting another one for -15 and lower

ScraggyGoat 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Burly1973:

My PhD bag is rated -10 degc, i find that its a bit variable comfort wise, sometimes i'm warm -5 to -10 degc (beyond -7 often gets a bit chilly), other times not. Nothing getting up (if I force myself) for a pee and eating a chocolate bar can't solve.  Obviously warmth is not just a function of the bag but also metabolism, humidity, & fatigue ect.

Having said that my older Rab is rated -20degc  and I get chilly beyond -15degc in it.

You obviously have a higher metabolic rate than me, I wouldn't take my partners standard minimus to -5 degc, while her made to measure diamir is very good its too small for me (mores the pity).

At -10dec and below, shoulder baffles, contoured hoods, zips (for venting), zip  baffles, shaped feet and a wider cut all start to make a marked difference to comfort between a hard core lightweight bag, and a long trip livability morale booster.

Post edited at 13:39
 Guy Hurst 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Burly1973:

The quality of a light PHD bag I have is definitely better than that of a similar spec Rab bag belonging to a friend. The PHD bag has neater stitching and the down feels to loft better, although it's a similar fill power to that in the Rab bag.

Better than both though is my winter weight (for UK conditions) Western Mountaineering bag. The design, materials and construction seem pretty faultless to me.

apwebber 17 Jul 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

My PHD bag is supposed to be -5 I think but personally I wouldn't ever use it that low. I would use mine down to 0 with thermals.

Toerag 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Burly1973:

I can't compare as I've not even seen a phd bag, but I can tell you the light grey inner material of my Rab one shows face&hair grease badly .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...