Polish Syndrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 05 Jan 2021

https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/2020/09/polish-syndrome-unsung-alpinists-c...

Probably a two-coffee read and a good general overview of modern Polish alpinism. A lot that's known from elsewhere but given nice context, some great photos of some great climbers.

L.A. 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed Userwaitout: Excellent article Thank you for that.

crayefish 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

Wonderful article indeed.  I'm constantly inspired by those Polish greats and it always made me proud to be a half-Pole; a far cry from the O' Brady types that often splatter our news feeds these days.

Of course, their making often become their undoing; reportedly Kukuczka's rope that snapped was bought as some cheap 'twine' from a local market.

catherine4331 05 Jan 2021

Anyone who has enjoyed that article should definitely check out Freedom Climbers by Bernadette McDonald, it's pretty incredible (and completely nuts, the Poles were certainly cut from a different cloth)

Rob Parsons 05 Jan 2021
In reply to catherine4331:

> Anyone who has enjoyed that article should definitely check out Freedom Climbers by Bernadette McDonald ...

In the same vein, check out the film 'Art Of Freedom' - vimeo.com/24219389

mcawle 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

And the book of the same name, also by Bernadette McDonald.

Mike-W-99 05 Jan 2021

And winter 8000 also by Bernadette

Timmd 05 Jan 2021
In reply to catherine4331:

> Anyone who has enjoyed that article should definitely check out Freedom Climbers by Bernadette McDonald, it's pretty incredible (and completely nuts, the Poles were certainly cut from a different cloth)

I found it quite sobering, in reading about the high death rate of the Polish mountaineers of that era, and the life trajectory of Wanda Rutkiewicz, but it's an interesting and inspiring book too.

Post edited at 23:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...