Piz Badile - transport from San Martino to Bondo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Piz BadileHi all

Has anyone got any info on taxi companies or bus services between San Martino and Bondo? Not having much luck finding info online.

Thanks 

rexybo 10 Jul 2020
In reply to raliadsa skcalbwah:

There is a bus that will take you down to train line in the valley. From there it is fairly easy to get a train up to Chiavenna and then the Swisspost bus to Bondo. The swiss buses are reliable and frequent - you can download the SBB app and it will tell you what you need to know. Last year, we drove up to San Martino and left the car at the hotel at the end of the road (5CHF for 2 nights) and jumped on the bus from there. It takes a few hours so we did that the day before walking up to Sasc Fura and stayed in Chiavenna - it was raining so we didnt mind taking our time. The buses aren't very frequent (maybe 1 an hour from 10-3 or something) and I think the last one was about 2 or 3 pm. I'd show up in the morning prepared to wait up to an hour for the bus and go from there. This is an italian bus so the info isn't available like the Swiss ones.

If you're pushed for time, like getting to the hut for dinner, then maybe splash out on a taxi. 

Dont forget it is now mandatory to wear a mask on swiss public transport. I cant speak for Italy.

In reply to rexybo:

Hi rexybo

Thanks a lot for this, which is really useful.  

AMB 

GGD 10 Jul 2020

We did it last summer via public transport and was easy enough, despite my huge reservations since I struggle enough to read a bus timetable in this country let alone in a country known for its chaotic provision of public services. That being said the young man in the tourist information hut in San Martino is very helpful and familiar with directing confused foreign climbers back to Bondo.

james mann 11 Jul 2020

Have managed to hitch around a couple of times. I seem to remember that it was possible to arrange a taxi for around 100euros but this was about 10 years ago. Descending to Gianetti and then then going back by Road is infinitely better than rapping the ridge or walking back over the passes. A night at the Gianetti and then walking down on the Italian side  is more relaxing than just racing down in the evening. This gives all day to get back to Bondo. 

James

Rick Graham 11 Jul 2020
In reply to james mann:

> Have managed to hitch around a couple of times. I seem to remember that it was possible to arrange a taxi for around 100euros but this was about 10 years ago. Descending to Gianetti and then then going back by Road is infinitely better than rapping the ridge or walking back over the passes. A night at the Gianetti and then walking down on the Italian side  is more relaxing than just racing down in the evening. This gives all day to get back to Bondo. 

> James

For balance, it is worth mentioning that descent options for the Badile are a Marmite issue on here.

Fwiw , we descended the north ridge after the cassin. I have no regrets dismissing the other options which admittedly I have not actually done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...