Pete Boardman vid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 12 Jan 2019

Contrasts of city and mountain life. Near death in Afghanistan.

youtube.com/watch?v=cxE5czgcO_I&

simondgee 12 Jan 2019
In reply to paul mitchell:

Nice find Paul...plus I never realized Pete's Body had been found.

Gone for good 12 Jan 2019

Amazing story. He talks like he writes. Very eloquent.  

PeterBlackler 12 Jan 2019

Thanks for posting...I believe the original interview was for a BBC series called "The Light of Experience" shown on Sunday evenings in the 70's & was about spiritual reflections rather than being a climbing programme itself (hence I suspect the somewhat Jackanory type delivery). I do remember seeing this episode all those years ago and the impression it left with me*

Is of course sad to watch both thinking what then happened to Boardman himself but also with his thoughts on Afganistan - it's history since and even beforehand http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/fc69b85a-c6b1-3363-baeb-24418... (mentions the Koh-i-Khaaik climb)

* BTW when asked for "secret question" for an online password reminder and it wants the name of a childhood hero then mine is usually Pete as in the interview (yes I know I probably shouldn't put that here but I somehow doubt many hackers are reading this thread...)   

Post edited at 22:42
 ripper 13 Jan 2019

Thanks for posting, that's just brilliant. Pete was a boyhood hero of mine too - partly because The Shining Mountain was the first proper climbing book I read. Even in that generation of incredible stars, he really did shine pretty brightly didn't he?

Thunderbird7 14 Jan 2019

Great stuff. he wrote well and was a hero of mine also. A sad loss. Hopefully the safari suite is back in fashion somewhere now...

'Oliver had eaten more recently than Martin and myself: he'd had a throat lozenge and a piece of chewing gum for breakfast, so we persuaded him that it was about time he took the lead.'

Classic!

Thanks for posting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...