Path and Hut damage in the Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have read that there has been a lot of storm damage to paths and huts in some areas. I plan to do the round of Via Ferrata in the Brenta group in early September (SOSAT, BRENTARI, ALTE, CENTRALI etc). Does anybody have any info please ?

rj_townsend 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Michael Griffith:

I was around the Canazai area last week and can vouch for the level of damage there. Lots of trees down, footpaths blocked and parts of the Sella Ronda Round mountain biking route closed due to bridges being washed away. 

Frank R. 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Michael Griffith:

In addition to the storm damage, last year there had been some bigger blocks falling due to permafrost thaw at Cima degli Armi above the Sfulmini glacier, on approach from rif. Alimonta to Bochette Centrale:

youtube.com/watch?v=puvRwtDL4I4&

Which took us a bit by surprise few weeks later. SAT/CAI put up some fliers in the refuges warning about further rockfall danger and recommended an approach up the glacier instead, on the steeper SW (Torre di Brenta) side. Perhaps contact the rifugio or CAI for up to date info this year, if it's still unstable, or at least excercise caution.

Brenta is unfortunately crumbling more and more with the fast loss of ice, the glaciers there are nearly gone 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...