One skinny rope (rock&alpine) for Perú. Beal ópera/simond edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Keen2go 07 Apr 2019

Hello.

I am looking for one do-it-all skinny rope for Peru (Huaraz), mainly I will do glaciar travel (Pisco, Huarapasca, Toclaraju, Chopicalqui...), but there is also sport-rock climbing around that I will do to relax between ascents.

I have a mammut infinity 9,5 mm 70 M non dry but it seems too heavy and it is not dry.

So, I have narrowed the search to 2 ropes triple rated

1. Beal ópera 8,5 golen dry 50m. Triple rated I am concerned about durability and highly strechable

2. Simond edge 8,9 dry 50m. Triple rated Seems ok

Which one should you buy if they were about same price?

Or am I wrong? and I should buy a 7,5 mm (double rated) for alpine and carry two ropes on the airplane incluiding my actual mammut infinity 9,5 for sport-rock?

Thxs very much for your comments

Post edited at 18:14
 acrkirby 08 Apr 2019
In reply to Keen2go:

Beal Opera is brilliant but if you are worried about durability the Beal Joker 9.3 (i think) is also available golden dry and is triple rated but the extra thickness would give much more durability.

Are you summiting the peaks mentioned? If so you 100% need to abseil from some of those mentioned in which case two half ropes are the only way to go. Or you can also do one of the above mentioned ropes and a light half rope solely for abseils, meaning you dont have to take three ropes with you.

LG-Mark 08 Apr 2019
In reply to Keen2go:

I don't think you can go wrong with the Simond Edge. It's almost half the price of most comparable ropes.  I've got the 50m version.

I keep mine for mountaineering-type routes so it doesn't get hammered but durability looks to be great so far, its light and handles really well what more could one ask?

I've used it in the Alps and at home and its great.

MischaHY 09 Apr 2019
In reply to Keen2go:

Edelrid Canary Pro Dry 8.6 is a brilliant rope but on the other hand we managed to put a small hole in the sheath on an abseil that got stuck and had to be retrieved. This happened because it slipped from behind a flake under load whilst the rope was being ascended and isn't something I would expect to happen in normal use - the sheath is bomber. 

Alan Carne recommend the Beal Opera as being very durable and I suspect he knows his ropes. 

Personally that or the Canary would be my choice. 

George.D 18 Apr 2019
In reply to Keen2go:

Mammut serenity - 8.7mm, triple rated, smooth handling and you can get it with a dry treatment. Hard to beat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...