Obergabelhorn North Face - Charity Climb, 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BURTON83 20 Oct 2017
Hello,

I'm planning on climbing the North Face of the Obergabelhorn in July, 2018 & in doing so I also wanted to raise money for cancer research/climbers against cancer.

Firstly, I wanted to know if there was anyone who has climbed it before, preferably as a lead, & wants to do it again, as I'd like to stop paying through the nose to climb with people. I currently climb to a D+ grade in the Alps so I won't be out of my depth hopefully.

Secondly, if anyone has any ideas as to how I could make it more appealing to people looking to sponsor me, whether there is a time challenge people attempt, or other summits close by that you can climb all in one go (like a three peak challenge), then I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Alex.
 MG 20 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:
> I currently climb to a D+ grade in the Alps so I won't be out of my depth hopefully.

I'm struggling to square this with your other thread asking what rucksack to use in the alps. The Obergabelhorn N Face is a long, steep route, with a tricky approach for which you will need the right conditions. Are you sure this is a good idea?
OP BURTON83 20 Oct 2017
In reply to MG:

Hi,

I think it's a good idea. The other thread was simply getting other people's opinion as every time I go out I always feel like I could've taken a different size pack.

EuanM 20 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:

There's a pretty high chance the route will be out of condition by July.

I was at the Grand Mountet hut in July and it was absolutely bone dry.

If you're climbing to D+ I can't see it being a problem to lead when in good nick.
 Max factor 20 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:

I spent 4 nights at this hut and was forever in awe looking at this route, matching it to the description, and telling myself it is probably easier when you are up close. No, it has to be easier - I just couldn't conceive how it would go at D otherwise. Intimidating as feck.
 jon 20 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:

> Firstly, I wanted to know if there was anyone who has climbed it before, preferably as a lead...

I know someone who's top roped it. Don't know if that helps...

pneame 20 Oct 2017
In reply to jon:

On-sight Jon?
 jon 21 Oct 2017
In reply to pneame:

> On-sight Jon?

Nah, front point.
 Sean Kelly 21 Oct 2017
In reply to jon:

> I know someone who's top roped it. Don't know if that helps...

Long rope Jon!
 jon 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Lot of stretch, Sean.
Deadeye 21 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:

Hi Alex

I've disliked your post:
I don't understand why you imagine anyone would sponsor you to do this. Why don't you NOT climb it, donate the trip cost to the charity and ask for people to sponsor you/match that value?
OP BURTON83 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

I'd like to think people might sponsor me because it's for a good cause.

None of the sponsorship money would be spent on covering the cost of the trip, that would all be done out of my own pocket & I was hoping that helpful suggestions by people would help me come up with an idea for a challenge that might make the idea of sponsorship more appealing to people.

All I'm trying to do is something positive, but thanks for your feedback. It was very helpful.
 Trangia 23 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:
Sponsership is an old chestnut, and understandably a lot of people are put off by it. I know you have said your attempt will be entirely self funded and the sposorship money will not go towards it, but you might have an uphill battle convincing people who don't know you. Also to the general public, Obergabelhorn means nothing

Why not just do it, take loads of photos, then do a seiries of illustrated lectures? Make them entry free, but emphasise that and at the end of each lecture tell them that it has been free but you are trying to raise money for the cancer charities, and if the audience has enjoyed it please please make a donation.

Making you lectures intersting so that your audiences enjoy them will be a far greater challenge than climbing the route.

I don't know you and I wouldn't sponsor you, on the other had if you were giving a lecture tour in my area, and I enjoyed your lecture I would happily donate afterwards to your charities.
Post edited at 12:41
OP BURTON83 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Thank you very much for your advice, that's actually very helpful. I understand where you're coming from with regards to sponsorship & the fact that the Obergabelhorn means nothing to the general public, but your idea might just work.

I just have to get over my fear of public speaking!

Thanks again.
 JuneBob 23 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:

Currently the north face of Obergabelhorn is relatively famous for being skied in quite spectacular fashion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4196422/Daredevil-skier-hurtles-nea...
 Misha 23 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:
As noted above, conditions / access could be a bit of an issue. The glacier and seracs to get to the route looked scary in August this year. When we phoned to check, the Mountet hut guardian said it was out of the question but that the Zinalrothorn was fine. When we got there, we could see why he said that.. The Zinalrothorn was good fun though.

If you work in a large organisation and/or have a wide circle of non-climbing friends, getting charity sponsorship is entirely feasible. You might even get matched funding from your employer if they have a matched charity funding scheme (or you might be able to persuade them if it's a small company which doesn't have an official scheme?). Thing is, I bet you'd get far more sponsorship for doing one of the normal routes on Mont Blanc than an obscure (to non-alpinists) peak like the Obergabelhorn.
 jcw 23 Oct 2017
In reply to jon:

You are joking of course?
 jon 24 Oct 2017
In reply to jcw:
Well yes - in the sense that burton stipulated that he was looking for somone who'd done it previously 'as a lead', a terminology more associated with rock climbers on single pitch crags. Though thinking about it, of course, anyone who's done it in the rôle of a second will in fact have top roped it.

To the OP, I'd guess you'd have trouble finding somone who'd already done it, who wanted to repeat it... especially if they were aware that they'd in effect be guiding you for free.
Post edited at 09:27
 nniff 24 Oct 2017
In reply to jon:

> Well yes - in the sense that burton stipulated that he was looking for somone who'd done it previously 'as a lead', a terminology more associated with rock climbers on single pitch crags. Though thinking about it, of course, anyone who's done it in the rôle of a second will in fact have top roped it.

> To the OP, I'd guess you'd have trouble finding somone who'd already done it, who wanted to repeat it... especially if they were aware that they'd in effect be guiding you for free.

I'm glad it's not just me who thought it a bit odd - get someone to drag you up a mountain in the capacity of a quasi-guide but without the fee so that you can the supposedly raise money for charity. I'm not entirely suprised that you're fed up with paying though the nose to get taken up things, but supect that this is probably the least promising way of finding an alternative. I'm not sure how this is to be seen as an attractive option for your potential partner either.
 Dark-Cloud 24 Oct 2017
In reply to nniff:

Agreed, i am not a alpinist but would you even pitch or rope up on something like that, seems like it would be more bother and/or dangerous ?
OP BURTON83 24 Oct 2017
In reply to nniff:

I've never got anyone to drag me up any of the mountains I've climbed & it seems like a waste of your time leaving needlessly negative feedback on a topic that is essentially an attempt at doing something good, even if it appears to be a little misguided.

It's a shame I've had to come on here & comment like this.
 Dark-Cloud 24 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:
I wouldn't take it personally, you have no profile so people have no idea what you are and are not capable of regardless of your D+ statement, you may romp up it solo, or quiver up it knock kneed scared out of your wits, if its the latter then its fair to assume that you would be relying on somebody to lead it for you as you put it.

People connect with charity when its something that they can relate to, like a marathon, or a parachute jump, or swimming the channel, or even Kilimanjaro, if they looked at a picture of the Obergabelhorn they couldn't appreciate what was involved, perhaps just move your objective elsewhere that's within your skill set ?
Post edited at 12:44
 Brass Nipples 24 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:

> I'd like to think people might sponsor me because it's for a good cause.

If someone thinks it is a good charity and worthy of donation they will already be giving direct no need to sponsor anyone. If they are not already giving to that charity then it is not high on their priorities. You going off to climb a mountain they will not have heard of won't change that. As others have said donate the money you would spend on the holiday, and then spent your time, say the next 12 months, raising awareness of the charity. There are many cancer charities so you will need to convince people as to why this one deserves the funds above the others. Good luck.
 nniff 24 Oct 2017
In reply to BURTON83:

> It's a shame I've had to come on here & comment like this.

Let's just be quite clear about a few things. You said, "Firstly, I wanted to know if there was anyone who has climbed it before, preferably as a lead, & wants to do it again, as I'd like to stop paying through the nose to climb with people". The justification for this would seem to be to raise money for charity. Conversely, one might take the view that it was a means to avoid paying for a guide.

Which it is I wouldn't care to say, although some might say that 'firstly' is a clue that indicates that the latter is at the front of your mind. It does therefore sit uncomfortably with me and so therein may lie a lesson to you in how to make it more appealing to those who you hope will contribute to charity.

It's nice of you to consider my time, though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...