Nepal insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wykealpha 18 Feb 2023

My daughter and I are going to Nepal trekking. I have insurance covering Hiking/Trekking up to 3000m through a bank account, I cannot increase the altitude. It seems I will have to take out cover for the whole 5 weeks of my trip to cover higher altitudes. 

Is it possible to top up insurance for above my 3000m ceiling via another company. I presume I'll just have to take out another complete policy.  If anyone has any experience in this area I am open to suggestions.

gld73 18 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

Is it worth contacting the bank you have the insurance through to ask if you can top up or extend the cover? Might turn out to be more expensive than a separate policy though I suppose. I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I booked a trip to Nepal and was going to be trekking to between 4000 and 5000m; the travel insurance through my bank account (HSBC) only covered up to 3000m. I contacted HSBC and was passed through a couple of departments, people seemed to be trying to help but not actually coming up with a definitive answer.

However,  in my case things worked out conveniently well as HSBC changed its policy wording before I actually travelled so that it covered (and still does) trekking to 5000m as standard.

(Having just checked the policy wording to confirm it's still up to 5000m, I now see that I wasn't covered when I did the bobsleigh run in Lilehammer a few years back though!)

Sorry that's all no help, but hope you manage to get an inexpensive solution (and have a great trip to Nepal!)

Post edited at 19:25
 wjcdean 20 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

could look at 'global rescue', if the above doesn't work out. i used them for a (relatively) high altitude thing and they were cheaper than most and were excellent in terms of customer service etc (not that i made a claim).

Ciro 20 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

> I presume I'll just have to take out another complete policy.

What happens if you have an accident below 3000m in this scenario and are double covered - could turn into a new as both insurers try to get out of being the one to pay out?

LastBoyScout 20 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

Worth asking your bank if you can extend the cover, but my experience of trying to extend cover on a "standard" insurance policy to cover Nepal trekking is the same as Gld73's - you won't be able to get hold of anyone who actually understands the question, let alone be able to sort the cover and give you a premium.

In the end, I went with BMC "Alpine & Ski", which covers most trekking peaks in Nepal and covers you for over 5,000m (we did the Annapurna circuit, which tops out at 5,416m).

Saying "Nepal" will, however, hike the premium significantly - I understand it's due to the level of rescues, but that's going off at a tangent.

Post edited at 15:23
 Tom Briggs 20 Feb 2023
In reply to wjcdean:

> could look at 'global rescue', if the above doesn't work out. i used them for a (relatively) high altitude thing and they were cheaper than most and were excellent in terms of customer service etc (not that i made a claim).

For info from 1 March Global Rescue membership will have a separate High Altitude add-on (US$395) for trips that sleep above 4600m. So, if you're considering taking it out, then do so before the price goes up significantly.

Derry 21 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

Try snowcard https://www.snowcard.co.uk/mountaineering-insurance which is set up mainly for skiing/boarding but has different options for mountaineering. 

Also sportscover https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/insurance/mountaineering-insurance/ is slightly more expensive but may be better for your circumstances. 

I have used global rescue in the past for remote mountaineering, but was always concerned that they cover evacuation and repatriation but not medical costs in the country. However, when a friend of mine did have a minor accident whilst abroad, they were very good in setting up a doctors appointment for him, and did lots of follow up calls to make sure he was well looked after. 

Kimberley 21 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

Try Trailfinders, often used for EBC

OP wykealpha 22 Feb 2023
In reply to gld73:

Thanks for your reply, It prompted me to call my insurers. For some reason I thought it would not be possible. However, it couldn't of been easier. I spoke to a member of staff who upgraded the insurance to cover upto 5450m for a very modest additional fee of £45. I hope I don't need to test it.

Thanks again for your reply gld73

OP wykealpha 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Ciro:

Something that had occured to me. Luckily I have managed to upgrade my existing insurance. 

Thanks for your reply.

OP wykealpha 22 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have managed to upgrade, as with all insurance, you never know how good it is until you need it. |Fingers crossed I won't.

Take care all. 

gld73 22 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

Excellent outcome, thanks for the update. Hope you have a great time and make no use of the insurance!

Ric29Feb 23 Feb 2023
In reply to wykealpha:

Just to come in on this very late, in case of use to anyone else...  My son's in Nepal at the moment, doing the Annapurna Circuit.  The high point is 5450m.  His back-backing insurance wouldn't cover this altitude so he took out membership with the UK branch of the Austrian Alpine Club for £45 for the year.  That provides rescue cover up to this sort of altitude and has other benefits too.  Seems a good option....  But good to see you're sorted - have a great time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...