Muti Pitch Rope Soloing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottTalbot 23 Sep 2019

Can anyone recommend any resources for best practice for the above.. I've watched a few videos on Youtube, but everyone seems to use different variations/techniques. Is there a "correct" way to go about it?

I'm not really climbing anymore, but want a technique to get over tricky sections on higher grade scrambles, when alone. Most of my mountain time seems to be spent alone nowadays... :'(

Toerag 23 Sep 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Sounds like it would be loads easier and safer to find partners.

vscott 23 Sep 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Rope soloing really not that suited to scrambling/easier climbing terrain as its slow to set up and clean (climb everything twice), and usually involves having two strands of rope below which can get easily hung up on blocky ground + if not steep terrain unlikely to catch a fall before hitting something (you need a bit of slack in the system or its a fight to move).

Have come across people carrying a short rope and some gear to give an abseil retreat option down tricker scramble sections but of course relies on being able to find an anchor when needed. 

OP ScottTalbot 23 Sep 2019
In reply to vscott:

I can appreciate that. It's something I would only want to use on long, extremely exposed sections, not the whole route. The best thing about Scrambling is the freedom of not being bogged down by placing gear haha!

Thanks for the response, definitely some things to ponder. 

In reply to Toerag:

It would be even easier to not go Scrambling at all, but where's the fun in that!?

thinredline20 23 Sep 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I use a self soloist for climbing alone ( Silent Partner) but it would be no good for scrambling, Infact it would make it much harder and more dangerous.

FreeloaderJoe 23 Sep 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Most of the soloing techniques rely on vertical walls and free running rope. 

Pefa 23 Sep 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> Most of my mountain time seems to be spent alone nowadays... :'(

If that bothers you then you could try a local hillwalking /climbing club for outings with fellow outdoorsy types or try your local indoor wall for partners. No? 

alex_arthur 23 Sep 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

The best resource by far is Andy Kirkpatricks book "me myself and I".  There is certainly no "correct " way.   I would echo the comments above that rope soloing is not well suited to scrambling.  You will have to cover the same ground three times and obviously have to carry alot more gear. For me it would not be worth the extra hassle for a probably small increase in safety. I would either choose an easier scramble or just not let go!

In reply to alex_arthur:

You're probably right, I guess there is a point where it's just defeating the object. I will take a look at that book though, as I could do with some new material! Cheers  

Post edited at 16:42
In reply to Pefa:

It doesn't really bother me, if i'm honest. I'd obviously prefer it if my mates would stop trying to grow old gracefully, but it is what it is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...