Mt Toubkal guide and checkpoints

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LRoberts 26 Sep 2021

Looking at a winter crossing of Atlas.

Does anyone know if it is still mandatory to have a guide to summit Toubkal (police checkpoints etc?), as Ive read in previous forums/posts that is becoming enforced? 

Ta

Post edited at 18:50
 shutuplegsuk 28 Sep 2021
In reply to LRoberts:

We were there in March 2020, hiking up from Imlil to the huts for a couple of days on peaks including Toubkal. There are several checkpoints on this route for which a guide is required. We explained to a couple of guides in Imlil that we didn’t really need them but couldn’t see a way around it. The checkpoints are manned by police. Other routes around the mountains didn’t seem to have this level of restriction so you may be ok if not on the main tourist route. I don’t know if the situation has changed post-Covid but I wouldn’t have thought they would do away with such a good job generation scheme lightly. 

The guide we found was happy to let us go off and explore other peaks once at the hut but insisted on joining for Toubkal itself. We ascended Toubkal via the North Cwm and I got the impression he hadn’t been this way before. 

I found a very reasonably priced and reliable taxi driver in Marrakech who was happy to ferry between there and Imlil. Much easier than the usual rigmarole of negotiations at the taxi ranks. Happy to send the number if needed.  

Westy85 03 Oct 2021
In reply to shutuplegsuk:

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place for this but looking at Toubkal in mid October. 17th - 21st ish...

Whats the weather like there at the moment as in know winter is late October  onwards. was ether any snow when you were there? trying to decide on kit (boots) Scarpa Charmox for higher up and hiking / approach for lower.  Ive heard mixed response on crampons that time of year?

Thanks in advance and sorry if not the correct place to ask!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...