Mt Buet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 19 Jun 2019

I'm planning a trip from Samoens and over Mt Buet in the next few days. Anyone know whether there is still any snow there, and whether an axe and crampons would be advisable?

TIA

kenr 20 Jun 2019

Didn't see Mont Buet, but 50-100 km south in the North French Alps around Chambery + Grenoble, looked like the Belledonne massif had snow easily as low as 2500 meters elevation, likely lower on shaded aspects.
Looked like mid-April snow cover (now in mid-June).

Since le Mont Buet is around 3000m, I would guess it has significant snow.

Ken

CEW 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Snow line was approx 2000-2200m when I was out there last week - still large amounts of snow on north facing slopes. Could see Col de Santon from Refuge Loriaz and the approach and the col was still totally snow covered so Buet certainly will be! I'd say axe and crampons would be needed given the snow depth on Aiguille Rouge. 

cragtyke 20 Jun 2019

Try the guides bureau in Samoens, it's just next to the info centre.

Fiona Reid 21 Jun 2019

The alps have been crazy snowy this year so lots of snow about.

I've climbed Mt Buet twice, both times doing the full traverse into Switzerland and both times encountered a fair bit of snow.  These trips were both in July (different years) and after much less snowy springs. 

I'm pretty sure you'll definitely want an axe an crampons. However, it might be worth calling the refuge on the way up to ask? 

http://www.monrefugepaysdumontblanc.com/fr/il4-refuge_i48782-refuge-de-la-p...

Post edited at 08:16
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks - unfortunately everyone's advice arrived too late and I left my gear behind!

Still, as you say, I'll phone the refuge tomorrow and if it's on hire from Namaste.

tehmarks 21 Jun 2019

Axe definitely needed, but there's a good chance crampons won't be - the temperatures are quite warm and forecast to remain warm, so I wouldn't bet money on an overnight freeze of any real note.

I have a photo of that way from just above the Albert 1er from Tuesday night which should give a good idea of the amount of snow still about; I'll upload it for you to take a look at.

If you can get to or Chamonix or are passing  I can happily lend you an axe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...