Monte Rosa Winter Rooms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George.D 11 Mar 2020

Having never used them before, can anyone confirm you can just turn up and use the winter rooms at huts like Ayas, Sella, Margherita, Gnifetti etc in the Monte Rosa i.e. you don't need a key or passcode to get in or to let the guardian know in advance? Any experiences anyone has of any of using these please do share - thanks.

Post edited at 21:49
 MG 11 Mar 2020
In reply to George.D:

Yes, normally, if the huts are not manned. Note Italy is currently discouraging skintouring because of coronavirus though. Don't  know if this affects things. 

Pero 11 Mar 2020
In reply to George.D:

Is there any reason not to look on their website?

MG 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Pero:

They don't really say, typically. 

In reply to MG:

On this note, one of the reasons they are discouraging all mountain activity is due to (possible) limitations and restrictions with mountain rescue.

Slarti B 12 Mar 2020
In reply to George.D:

We were there at the end of the season in Sep last year as the guardians were closing up. 

The Ottorino Mezzalama hut definitely has a winter section, they leave the dining room and upstairs dorm open.   
Not sure about the The Ayas hut;  the guardian ( who was doing end of season maintenance) initially said it was shut and there was no winter room.  However, another group turned up and he let both of us stay the night in the regular dorm. 

Pero 12 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

> They don't really say, typically.

Yeah, I guess not. 

That said, if you can bring yourself to look at the Gnifetti hut website - just on the off chance, you understand- you will see that it says:

"Winter opening: Please note: in winter, when the hut is closed, the winter room is available (unmanaged). The reservation is not required."

Serendipity!  Who'd have thought it!

Christiel 12 Mar 2020

The Monte Rosa is not one single peak, but rather the gigantic mountain located between the two glaciers that you see when you look down from your window. The two peaks on the Monte Rosa are the Nordend to the left and the Dufourspitze to the right.

OP George.D 12 Mar 2020
In reply to Pero:

Thanks - they all say winter space obviously, but the question I have asked is about access. I have previously turned up to a winter room in Austria only to find you needed a passcode to open the door (which was not mentioned on the website)

Pero 12 Mar 2020
In reply to George.D:

If you don't want to trust the website, then why not contact the guardian by email?  Surely that's more reliable than asking on UKC?

I don't get the whole idea of asking on here.  Sorry.

pec 12 Mar 2020
In reply to George.D:

There's always the Balmenhorn bivi hut, always open it has a stove, gas and blankets, oh and the toilet has a unique flushing machanism.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...