Monte Rosa Huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 williemilne 29 Jan 2020

I'm looking for advice on how busy the huts are in this area in the second two weeks in August. I appreciate that booking in advance is required but is it sufficient to book say a couple of nights in advance? The thought being that it would make sense to get a feel for what the weather is doing, how acclimatisation is going etc. if possible, rather than book way in advance.

Thanks in anticipation....

pec 29 Jan 2020
In reply to williemilne:

Based on my one visit to the Balmenhorn Bivi Hut at that time of year I'd say there was a good chance it won't be full. For some reason everyone else seemd to prefer paying for a noisy overcrowded experience in the nearby manned huts whilst we had the bivi hut to ourselves.

If it takes your fancy it's got blankets, a stove, gas and pans etc, just take your food. Oh and the toilet is something else!

colinakmc 29 Jan 2020
In reply to williemilne:

I was there in early September a couple of years ago and the Gnifetti was quite busy..Margarita wasn’t particularly and we actually changed all our bookings at short notice to work round the bad weather. August is still peak so I’d probly try and book a few days in advance anyway.

OP williemilne 03 Feb 2020
In reply to colinakmc:

Thank you to both respondents. Interesting and useful information. I've seen mention of that bivvy hut in other research and it's definitely of interest. If anybody else has any other information it would be gratefully received!

Thanks again...

nation1 03 Feb 2020
In reply to williemilne:

I stayed there in 2013, great hut, we reserved a few nights in advance and wasn’t a problem. 

streapadair 03 Feb 2020
In reply to williemilne:

The Gnifetti has 170-odd beds, and if you avoid the weekends you're fairly sure to find a place at short notice. There's a central booking site for it and the Margherita, and a couple of others

http://www.rifugimonterosa.it/en/web/hut-booking-60

As it happens, I'll be up that way myself the same fortnight, staying at Gressoney-la-T.

OP williemilne 11 Feb 2020
In reply to williemilne:

Thanks again for the further information. Lots of useful stuff.

Babika 11 Feb 2020
In reply to williemilne:

Both I and my mate had kit stolen at the Gnifetti Hut in 2013 - a headtorch from above my bunk meaning I couldn't make a pre-dawn start and an ice screw and pulley from my mates harness hanging up. 

I know it can happen anywhere but just a warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...