Monte Emilius - from Aosta Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FockeWulf 06 Sep 2022

I’m looking for a route up Monte Emilius… I’m finding it rather difficult to find well documented routes. The descriptions are mostly quite vague.

From what I can gather, the starting point is Pila - and I’ve seen there’s an “easy” via Ferrarata route - but it’s a bit more exposed than we’d like. Is there a more secure/less exposed way up than the via Ferrarata route from Pila?

Bob Aitken 07 Sep 2022
In reply to FockeWulf:

I've only been up Emilius by a rather circuitous but scenic route from Grauson on the Cogne side, and that was half a century ago.  But my memory of the climb to Emilius itself is only of a steepish bouldery walk/scramble with fantastic views from the top.  There's a reasonable amount of info on Google, though I agree it's not entirely easy to assemble into a coherent picture.

The normal route goes up the south ridge from the Passi Tre Cappucini, usually accessed from the top of the Pila lifts over the Colle di Chamole into the Arbole cwm.  You have the option of staying overnight at the refuge by the Lago d'Arbole.  I gather the via ferrata goes up the west ridge and is best accessed from the bivvy hut on the Colle Carrel on the NW spur, so you don't need to go that way.  One source says it's closed for maintenance just now anyway.  My dim recollection is that the south ridge is just a steep scraggy boulder-and-scree crest, mildly exposed in places.

Let's hope somebody with recent experience will be along shortly to give you more better-quality info.  I'd recommend Emilius for its superb panoramic views so worth waiting for a fine day to do it.  Best of luck.

philipjardine 07 Sep 2022
In reply to FockeWulf:

its a really lovely summit.  one of my favourites.  Heres the camp to camp write up (just put it into google translate).  well worth staying at the Arbolle refuge.

https://www.camptocamp.org/routes/56103/fr/mont-emilius-arete-s-voie-normal...

Post edited at 09:45
OP FockeWulf 07 Sep 2022

Are there any decent online maps I can look at? Can't find any anywhere.

Bob Aitken 07 Sep 2022
In reply to FockeWulf:

I'm content to stick in the world of paper maps, where Kompass 86 Gran Paradiso-Valle d'Aosta is the sheet you want.  You could probably buy that in Aosta.  But it should also be accesssible online via the Kompass app at https://www.kompass.de/kompass-pro/ - I leave you to explore that.

https://mapcarta.com/25739078 looks like a reasonable starter.

Google is  your friend ...

OP FockeWulf 07 Sep 2022
In reply to Bob Aitken:

I will be taking a paper map, but would like to find a detailed online map for planning/reference purposes.

Thanks. 

philipjardine 07 Sep 2022
In reply to FockeWulf:

for Monte Emilius you are stuck with open street map or fatmap for on line mapping.  OSM is pretty good.  The contours are often poor but it can be great for man made structures, footpaths etc.  The version of OSM on Fatmap often seems less up to date than others.  I use the version of OSM that comes with the white risk app.  

aostaman 07 Sep 2022
In reply to FockeWulf:

https://www.lovevda.it/en/database/7/vie-ferrate/charvensod/via-ferrata-mon...

This is the route description from the Val d'Aosta site. You can take the cable car rather than drive.

It's quite a big day more or less 9 hours from Pila and it finishes at about 3000 metres. 

I don’t know where you are at the moment (I'm in Aosta) but the weather is a bit unpredictable and the days are short.

Best of luck. 

MG 07 Sep 2022
In reply to FockeWulf:

The Excursionista maps are much the best paper maps - easily available in Aosta valley. The route from Pila is a good path to the col, then a easy scramble up the ridge. If the cable car is running to will save some time a night at the Arbole hut is very pleasant.

OP FockeWulf 07 Sep 2022
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Yes, after watching numerous videos and looking on lots of websites.. it does appear that the part without via ferrata is via the south Passi Tre Cappucini part. 

This is the place we'd prefer to go. 

I'll get examining this in more detail.

OP FockeWulf 08 Sep 2022

it seems that all the cable cars are closed (including the one to Plateau Rossa towards Breithorn)… it also seems like the Arbilla Refuge is closed. Have I got this info correct? What a a s**t show!

MG 08 Sep 2022
In reply to FockeWulf:

You can walk! Huts will almost all have winter rooms open. It is the end of the season - it will be  getting colder and darker etcm

OP FockeWulf 08 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

I would have walked - but if the hut is closed then it’s not an option. Outdooractive map says it’s a 17.8 hour hike to the summit from Aosta town centre- which In reality means 24 hours of you're not quick and doing it with a few breaks. 

MG 08 Sep 2022
In reply to FockeWulf:

You can drive/bus to Pila, (the main cable car is unusual in that it goes from a city to a piste)and as above the hut will have a winter room

Post edited at 09:28
 aostaman 08 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

The Pila cable car runs till Sunday 11th September. This is the date (more or less) also when the rifugios close. 

It's not a s**t s**w. It's like this every year. It's very well planned. 

Sorry MG. I know they weren't your words.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...