Mont Cristallo In October,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 keeenclimber 13 Oct 2021

Guys, my most recent/more less first big mountain trip has left me yearning for more... 

I am looking to hike up Mont Cristallo but I am unsure if end of October, 27-31st is not a good time and also if the route is such that has glaciers as I currently have no experience of vast glaciers.

Can anyone share their knowledge and experience of this route:

1) are their glaciers

2) is there a ferrata path?

3) Is this a summit that should be avoided late October?

McHeath 14 Oct 2021
In reply to keeenclimber:

Google "Monte Cristallo hiking" and you get tons of information - 1. no glaciers 2. no via ferrata and 3. not a "hiking" mountain. Weatherwise - I should think you"ll get exactly the same answers as you got in your Marmolata thread. 

digby 15 Oct 2021

There is actually a short ferrata section on a scrambly bit. It also started snowing when I was there in a July past. So late October...

Toerag 15 Oct 2021

You have VF to get to the Lorenzi hut (either VF dibona or Rene Da Pol), then VF to get to the summit. If there's snow it won't be doable as a walker / via ferrata-er. You need to pick a summit without a VF unless you know there's no snow - Maybe Piz Boe?

https://www.bergsteigen.com/touren/klettersteig/via-ferrata-rene-de-pol/  Be aware that there's more than this to get to the hut - I remember it being at least a 10am-5pm job coming from Ospitale.

https://www.bergsteigen.com/touren/klettersteig/via-ferrata-ivano-dibona/

https://www.bergsteigen.com/touren/klettersteig/via-ferrata-marino-bianchi-...

The Cablecar is defunct I believe, and also the hut has closed down as a result?

beardy mike 16 Oct 2021

Hi again, I think the issue here is not whether or not these summits are possible in October, but whether you personally have the requisite skillset to cope with what it throws at you. The Dolomites are empty around then, you would more or less be on your own. It will be colder than summer by far, there will most likely be snow on the ground, iced rocks, on normal vf sections of cable could be buried if snow has drifted. Therefore taking an axe and crampons and a section of rope is advisable, even for walking and making an assessment based on previous experience as to whether you will need them. Weather in October is usually quite stable, thunderstorms are rare, but any precipitation will fall as snow at altitude. 

Your second objective you’ve identified is again high with a long walk in. All huts are closed by the end of october as are lifts, in the case of cristallo, the lift no longer operates anyway. The shortest way to approach is a long steep scree which used to be a ski slope. Cristallo is probably a less complex objective than Marmolada, but still has a vf section. 

Other ideas for you could be Antelao, a walking traverse in the Lagorai which is lower but stunning;y beautiful and very wild, if you want to do easy VF, theres quite a number at lower altitude but which are challenging without leading to a high summit (eg Alpini) or others which are easy and go to a fine lower summit (for example you could complete a round of the Falzarego pass - Falzarego to Passo giau, up Nuvolau by vf, then Averau by vf, then back to the pass and Sass di Stria, up the Alpini, around to the summit of Lagazuoi, then down through the tunnels or the Kaisejaeger path). Its all got be based on you though and as we have no profile information we are guessing at your capabilities…

Lankyman 17 Oct 2021

Take a flask and a warm scarf. It's cold outside right now.

beardy mike 17 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

And maybe some kendal mint cake and a Poncho.

Post edited at 16:13
OP keeenclimber 19 Oct 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Hey Mike,

thanks for sharing all the good stuff! 

I booked my flight last night for the 27th October, will keep you guys posted when am back.

Lankyman 20 Oct 2021

> Hey Mike,

> thanks for sharing all the good stuff! 

> I booked my flight last night for the 27th October, will keep you guys posted when am back.

Where are you going again, Kintail?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...