Mild cold injury how long to recover?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 21 Feb 2023

Stupid mistake being out ice climbing in light, tight fitting boots and left them tied tight at belays around -15/20 and let my toes get cold two days ago . Got them warm as soon as I got in and just started taking aspirin. Got pins and needles in the ends of big and second toes on both feet, so suspect mild nerve damage? 

Im going to invest in some heated socks, but the question is how long should I leave it before I head back out? Obviously the longer the better. Too soon to head out on a short day with pins and needles even with heated socks / better feet management? 

Want to be cautious to avoid future issues on big routes. Would appreciate any input from informed people! Annoyingly don't have my Spantiks with me! 

CurlyStevo 21 Feb 2023
In reply to GraMc:

You may be more susceptible to cold in your toes now. It's actually quite surprising how quickly cold damage can happen in even temperatures just below freezing (with other factors like wind and spin drift on any exposed skin).

Brass Nipples 21 Feb 2023
In reply to GraMc:

If the nerves are damaged it can take months to recover (assuming they do recover).

ExiledScot 21 Feb 2023
In reply to GraMc:

A friend had an unplanned overnighter in the alps, nothing too horrendous but they were advised to keep digits warm for 12months as they are more vulnerable to permanent cell damage. 

Post edited at 13:29
 Hannah V 21 Feb 2023
In reply to GraMc:

Its at least a good sign if you can actually feel the pins and needles in the ends of your toes, would be more concerning if you couldn't feel anything

nniff 21 Feb 2023
In reply to GraMc:

I'm on two weeks so far with two numb fingertips.  It's slowly edging forward.  One's nearly there, the other has got 'the minimum amount of finger tip that you can pinch' left to go

Sabilly1 22 Feb 2023
In reply to GraMc:

I had similar issues with my fingertips. Expect the first layer of skin to peel then i think it took a couple of months before it felt normal again. 

For the next year or two i had two finger tips alot more susceptible to cold. Completely fine now

Ailsa Main 20 Mar 2023
In reply to GraMc:

I got a mild cold injury last winter in my right big toe and its still a bit weird. I've noticed that that foot is now def the first one to get cold. Its not especially annoying or painful - it's just different now. Really has made me much more cautious about keeping warm.

Hope you recover well dude! Wonder how the heated socks will go!

Murcantile 20 Mar 2023
In reply to GraMc:

Put some Elizabeth Arden cream on it!

Worked for Harry’s Todger apparently!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...