lycian way maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Peppermint91 20 Aug 2018

hey guys and gals, 

I hope you're all well. 

It's not really Alpine I know but was wondering if anyone has hiked the lycian in Turkey, and if so, did you have an actual physical map? call me old fashioned but I like to have a real map, I have one with the guide book but they are never the same as a proper map. My GPS is great at getting me out of a situation if fog comes in or generally want a confidence booster, but hardly something to rely on for 30 days hiking unless I plan on hiking with a wheelbarrow full of batteries.

Any help with this or any other insight to this trail would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited at 21:49
 Big Steve 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Peppermint91:

If you were hoping for detailed maps similar to our OS maps, they don't exist. Do you have Kate Clows latest guidebook? This is as good as you will get

clouds 22 Aug 2018

I had a slightly better map than just the guidebook, which I got from Stanford's bookshop in London.  With that and a compass I was fine.  It's pretty easy to follow the route most of the time, although crossing terraces is the hardest bit as there are loads of little paths everywhere!  Shepherds are also very helpful if you do wander slightly off route.

wintertree 22 Aug 2018

A hiking render of OpenStreetMap will give you something with towns, roads and reasonable contours.  Looks like your route is in it.  I wouldn’t use it for micronavigation but it’s better than nothing.  Some tutorials online for printing OSM renders.

I’ve used OSM maps in an offline viewer all over California for general map gazing on well way marked hikes and found it great for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...