Leaving a car in Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

It is many years since I was in Chamonix. But I remember there used to be a big car park where you could leave cars and vans free of charge for extended periods.

Can someone please advise if this is still the case, if not is there an alternative people would recommend.

Thanks

Luke01 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Adderbury Climber:

I've always left the car in the big dirt car park opposite montenvers train station. Slept there too, never had problems. 

Webster 19 Jan 2020

they are increasingly clamping down on campervans and car camping etc. so it depends what you mean by long term? thee are designates areas for camper vans near the main grands montets car park so thats probably your safest bet these days. 

the dirt carpark the above guy mentions is currently a ski run...

Andy Lagan 19 Jan 2020

If you're going to leave a car/van in town it helps to have a friend in town who'll shift it periodically (and clear the snow/ice) as the Police spray paint a line on the wheels if they feel its been stationary for too long. If it hasn't then moved again they'll tow it.

As Webster said, Grands Montets car park would be a good place, and the Montenvers carpark in Spring/Summer/Autumn

There is a massive clampdown on this at the moment with police regularly moving on vehicles that would typically have stayed in one place all season.  My mate was sleeping in his van for the last month or so at GM and was moved on by the police pretty much daily.  Apparently he was able to move just a few spots in the same car park but they did expect him to move his van regularly.  

As others have said, it sort of depends what you mean by long-term (and also what season).  For example, if you were doing the Haute Route and leaving a car for a week or so at GM that would almost certainly be fine (perhaps stick a note in the windscreen so the police know what to expect) but if you're talking months it's very likely to get towed.  

https://www.chamonix.net/english/transport/parking  - This site has some useful info but may not be completely up to date re the new police policy.  

Thanks to everyone for the info. I would be leaving it for about two weeks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...