Just arrived Kathmandu for EBC/Lobuche Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewm1000 16 Dec 2020

Using accumulated leave for winter EBC trek and Lobuche peak climb if anyone is coming soon and wants info- on current status / arrangements here. Flew from Manila, not uk, needed a trekking agency to get Nepal immigration letter authorising visa on arrival. All easy, within one week had that letter and trekking permit (climbing permit will be issued later). Needed insurance cover stating Covid cover, negative PCR Covid test, and one week accommodation in KTM for quarantine period which had to be booked by local trekking agency not me individually. I have another government mandatory Covid PCR test booked on Saturday and if negative then will be authorised to fly to Lukla. Still only open for mountaineering/trekking and for official travel, not general tourism. Government expected to make decision on careful loosening of restrictions soon. Air corridor with India starts on 17th. Only two groups in the Kathmandu guest house, myself plus one family of 4 also going to EBC. Thamel is quiet, most shops closed but some selling trekking gear etc still open. ATMs and local mini mart store near K Guest House open but store is only half size versus last winter. A bit warmer than last Xmas by a few degrees. USD = 116 Rupees and Pound = 153 approx. Many wearing masks but not all. Reminds me of Thamel years ago - light traffic from airport, only few motorcycles and saw only one other European browsing. My local trekking company owner said I am first client since March. Looking forward to walking around town once cleared to do so later in the week. Regards Andrew

crayefish 16 Dec 2020
In reply to andrewm1000:

Good luck and enjoy the trip.  At least someone is getting out for some fun at the moment!

joe j 16 Dec 2020
In reply to andrewm1000:

Sent you a PM. Enjoy the trip!

Burly1973 23 Dec 2020
In reply to andrewm1000: I just returned from doing Lobuche.... only person on the mountain...brilliant and surreal enjoy the peacefulness 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...