Island Peak Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tfwheeler 08 Oct 2018

I am going to island peak in November. Everywhere I look has a different recommendation for jackets. Some people say just a microlight with a hardshell all the way to some saying full expedition style like Rab andes jacket. Any idea on what is actually the most practical to use? 

Thanks 

Guy 08 Oct 2018
In reply to tfwheeler:

I never regretted having my Rab Summit jacket with me if only for sitting about in at camp.  Remember it feels colder at altitude due to the body struggling to make its own heat.

jethro kiernan 08 Oct 2018
In reply to tfwheeler:

I would go for a Versatile down jacket like a Rab Nutrino and possibly supplement it with a primal loft type jacket, this will give you sufficient warmth for the coldest nights at base camp and when you get back you have two useful jackets. Something like an Andes is not much use in the uk and is a lot of money for something you will use for two or three nights. (Speaking as someone who made this mistake)

jam 09 Oct 2018
In reply to tfwheeler:

I was there a couple of years ago.  Off memory wearing a light thermal base layer, a Marmot Driclime, a light synthetic vest then a Paramo. Can't remember if I also packed a simple midweight down jacket on the mountain, if I did, I didn't use it.

Sitting around camp, a DAS parka.

Bring your own sleeping bag- lots of the guiding companies say they can supply you with bags, but my tentmate caught scabies off his. I brought my own bag, and fortunately didn't get anything from his.

OP tfwheeler 22 Oct 2018
In reply to tfwheeler:

Thanks for all the advice, think I will prob go with something like the Rab neutrino, I don't get cold easily so that in a layered system should work I think

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...