Insurance for long stay in the Alps, anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Noam 22 Mar 2019

Hello climbers,

My partner and I are planning to move to the French Alps for 6 months. Obviously, there will be climbing involved.

Any idea or experience out there on how to get insured?

Options we've explored so far:

- 6 months Single Trip mountaineering/climbing cover with Protectivity (VERY expensive)

- 'Top up' for specific weekends (still, VERY expensive with faff)

- BMC multi-trip (limited to max 120 days out - not enough)

- 'Backpacking' policy (doesn't really cover the most important activities)

Would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Noam

Doug 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Noam:

join the French Alpine Club ?

alexm198 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Noam:

Yep, just join the CAF.

Seems like all I ever say on here these days!

philipjardine 23 Mar 2019
In reply to alexm198:

The AC has recently told all its members that reciprocal rights with CAF and CAI arent going to happen (not surprisingly) although they will continue with CAS for the time being.  I am sure more and more people will be looking at personal membership of continental clubs

Dr.S at work 23 Mar 2019
In reply to philipjardine:

Why not surprisingly? 

McHeath 23 Mar 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Well ... I have a hunch that if you compared the number of accidents Brits probably have in Chamonix alone each year to that of the annual number of mountain accidents to Frenchmen/women in the whole of the UK, you may start to get an inkling ...

alexm198 23 Mar 2019
In reply to philipjardine:

Yeah I got that news today, unfortunate. AAC gets you those reciprocal rights anyway, as far as I'm aware. So I guess my recommendation should have been 'join a continental alpine club' rather than the CAF, necessarily. 

alexm198 23 Mar 2019
In reply to McHeath:

But doesn't the CAF/CAI/CAS reciprocal rights issue refer to discounts in huts, not reciprocal access to insurance?

McHeath 24 Mar 2019
In reply to alexm198:

It's the same maths; there must be hundreds of well-tended huts and refuges in Europe catering for thousands of British climbers, touring skiers and hikers every year. The system in Britain is different and doesn't provide the same amenities, it's either camping, bothies, youth hostels or normal hotels. 

OP Noam 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Noam:

Thanks everyone for the input - very helpful. Joining a club is indeed the solution we'll go for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...